Volkswagen Transporter

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by Ryluer, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

It proves every thing.
    Are you a qualified mechanic? If not then I don't think your in any position to judge. And all the comments on the channel seem positive.

And as I said if air doesn't enter the pipe then no air to expel.
    Simples.

Why don't you call the hse in on this thread. lol. :D

YOu saying my brakes are gonna fail and I'm gonna get killed now? Chance would be a fine thing eh. But what about the poor by standers? OO deary me.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I started my working life as a mechanic a Vauxhall dealership in Ware Hertfordshire, my dad was a mechanic all his working life, I rebuilt my first car engine (a Ford crossflow 1600) when I was 12, I'm now 52 and have change more sets of brakes on numerous vehicles than I care to think of, including my own 7.5ton lorries, so I think I tend to know what I'm talking about.

If it was as easy as you and the stupid yank think, do you not think all mechanics would be doing it and not investing large amount of money into proper vacuum bleeding kits, or do you think that maybe just maybe the life of the person who vehicle their working on is important to them.

3. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

The first thing to note is that your probably know nothing about how the brake pipe on a VW transporter is disconnected.
    When you know that get back to me.

And btw I've built several engines. Proves nothing. And mechaniced on lorries for a number of years also. Again proves nothing.
    I've probably forgotten more than you ever learned lol.

4. Phil the Paver

Probably the same as it is on my VW LT35 which I've owned and worked on for the last 11 years, including several brake changes.

Keep digging RY you'll soon be there. :rolleyes:

5. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

So how is it disconnected then?
    And I'll let you know if its the same.

A jillopy like that is well past its sell by date. Though I expect your "brilliant" mecahnicing skills that you learned when you were a baby in the cot keep it rattling on.

6. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Joiners definitely out earn mechanics! Firstly if you are paying your garage £200 for labour then
    I suggest you save your money for a psychiatric appointment. Secondly are you really thinking if you get a bill off a garage and it says 1hrs labour £200 then its like PAYE and the mechanic just gets given it!

A good joiner can name his price. I long since stopped bothering what a customer might think about a price. Just post it off to them and see if they want the work done.

8. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Any mechanics I see round my way are driving mercs and bmw's. The joiners seem to clatter around in their beaten up vans all the time.
    Mechanics have a big mark up on parts.

There is a joiner guy I know has a classy sign written crafter. Does an impeccable job.
    Last I heard he was struggling for work.
    Mechanics are always busy as stuff needs fixing.

9. Phil the Paver

No!!!!!, simply because my van is an LT not a T5.
    I do wonder how you ever made it to an age where your old enough to drive.

10. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

That's what I thought.
    If you have the experience you say you have then you should be able to explain how the T5 hose is disconnected from the caliper just by looking at the image of the crimped hose ends in that link.

11. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Oh so your analysis of earnings is based upon one bloke who you heard was struggling for work and what vehicles mechanics drive!

Sounds like its a properly accurate survey then.

If you reckon that what you drive directly correlates to what you are worth then you need to reassess that assumption.

For one you need to know who owns, who hires and who leases and who is just driving around a motor on traders insurance.

Think your analysis of how business works is a bit naïve to be honest.

"Mechanics have a big mark up on parts"

Do you reckon I invoice my customers at cost for materials? Doors etc I can sometimes have 100% markup on and the customer is still getting it cheaper than they would be able to buy it.

What about the value added aspect of joinery work? I can take a few lumps of oak and a few veneered boards and turn £500 worth of materials into £5000. Then charge to fit it.

12. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Kitchen fitters definitely don't earn as much as mechanics. [​IMG]

It always astonishes me what some people will fork out for a a few sheets of veneered mdf nailed into a box shape with a slab of chip board on top.

13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

What have kitchens got to do with anything? Who mentioned them.

You know this is a forum designed for trade professionals right?

Think you are showing yourself up a bit here mate.

Lets tackle this nice and slowly.

If you are on the books then your average joiner will outearn your average mechanic.Not by much but by a little. A good joiner should be on getting on for £150 a day. London up to £225. An on the books good mechanic would be doing very well to be near that. Neither of them get any markup as the firm supplies parts and materials.

If you own a workshop either joinery like me or a garage, you name your price and if the customer likes it they pay. That's called the free market.

As a little aside chum. Kitchens cabinets aren't made from veneered MDF as a rule. Generally its MFC for the cheaper and MFMDF for the better and the best are sometime Birch Ply. And they aren't nailed together, its screws for the cheaper, dowels for the better and pocket screws for the best.

I think its pretty clear mate that you aren't really talking about this from any aspect of knowledge or experience.

Its obvious you have some kind of fixation with how much mechanics earn. For crying out loud Kevin Webster who has been a mechanic for 30 years and won the lottery cant even afford to move out of Coronation Street, that proves my point.

Just in case your perception of humour is as skewed as your perception of trade related stuff the Kevin Webster comment is an attempt at a joke.

The idea

14. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

That's buttons. A mechanic wouldn't get out of bed for that.
    Mechanics round my way are £100 quid per hour.

And what is melamine at the end of the day?
    Its a veneer isn't it?
    Pocket screws leave nasty holes.

15. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

Where's that the land of nod.....

16. Phil the Paver

Really???? And the fairies dance for you too I suppose.:p:p:confused:

BMW charge approx 70/75 per hour, the mechanic earns about 15/18 of that, the rest is running costs for the garage.

17. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Really, so an on the books mechanic is earning £100 an hour. £800 a day. 5 day week £4000 a week. That's £208,000 a year. Surprised David Cameron is standing for re-election as he only earns £142,500.

Don't need to say any more really do I.

18. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Still avoiding this! The long male nipple connects direct to the caliper casting btw.
    Saying you don't know is a viable option.

19. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Do you know what a pocket hole is? Sounds like you don't.

And no melamine is not a veneer. That's the kind of thing people who have no real knowledge of how to make anything say.

Melamine is essentially a plastic coating with a photograph of wood imposed on it bonded to a substrate, usually chipboard but increasingly MDF

Veneer is a very thin layer of real wood bonded to a substrate usually MDF

Laminate are the big rolls of sheet that you bond up using EVO

20. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

£100 an hour as a mechanic! April Fools day was last week chump. Maybe they tell you that when you get a bill of a grand for pumping your tyres up.

Someone is pulling your chain.