Wago connectors

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by sdfuk, May 26, 2016.

1. sdfuk

sdfuk New Member

Hi

I've been replacing some of my 2 gang plug sockets with new ones that have USB. On one socket I have 3 live, 3 neutral and 3 earth wires. I'm having a problem fitting the 3 live wires into the new plug socket backplate. I thought that I could insert the 3 live wires into a 5 way Wago connector and then just use the 4th hole in the connector to wire up to the back of the socket. Is that OK to do? I don't know if you can have 3 wires going into the Wago connector and just one wire going to the plug socket plate.

Thanks for any help
    Cheers
    S

2. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

What make are the new sockets

3. sdfuk

sdfuk New Member

4. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Have you tried putting two cables in then using long nose pliers to push the third in very fiddly i know.

Never used wagon for this purpose hopefully some ok will comment

5. sdfuk

sdfuk New Member

hi

I'll have another go later. I think main problem was lack of space as it seemed to pull wires out when I pushed the socket face back on.

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Sounds ok to use the Wago's. I would use the 221 series.

7. sdfuk

sdfuk New Member

Use a 5 way connector and go 3 live in and 1 out to socket? Or just use three 2 way connectors and go 1 live in and 1 out to socket (for all 3 wires)?

Cheers
    S

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Whip over the sockets with an eli tester when finished, it might also be pertinent to use probe on face plates say on the bottom edge.I don't think the very minor sparking will cause lets just say ''face plate etching''

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hi SD. Just the one conductor per socket tunnel..saying that I would fold the L and N and the cpc I would thrice fold..let the other sparks give the definitive way as I am only diy m8.

10. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I've never had a socket front that I cant get 3 cables into the turrets, then again I don't fit Lap **** very often.

11. sdfuk

sdfuk New Member

Are they c***, I only bought them based on the reviews. What are good quality sockets? Would be good to know for next time I get any.

I think I'm going with 3 x 2 way connectors.

Cheers s

12. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

How will that work?

Just use a 5 way - four will be in use. Or if you are worried about the unused way, then two 3-way.

13. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

It is a requirement of BS 1363 that socket outlets can take 3 2.5mm^2 conductors in their terminals.

14. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Lap in general is pretty **** however I fitted some slate grey flatplate stuff of theirs the other week and they seemed ok.

15. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

lap metal clad is about the only decent thing they make (prob cus it aint lap who makes them i think)

KIAB likes this.
  16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Most things Lap is carp!:eek:

17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

To be fair fitted half a dozen of these a couple of months ago, they did go on quite well and nothing has failed since.

The only thin that did seem odd was 2 earth connectors on the back of the faceplate which didn't seem to have a connector between them and looked like they needed separate feeds

18. sdfuk

sdfuk New Member

Yea, I noticed that about the earths too.

All working now. It was a bugger trying to get the lives in...very short cables.I used the Wago 2 way connectors in the end for each live and added more wire to better reach the back of the faceplate.

Cheers
    S

19. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

I think what would make it easier to fit would be a 35mm deep back box as opposed to 25mm deep back box. Which I'm guessing is what you're trying to fit it into.

20. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Had to fit the 35mm back boxes