Wall Chase Filling

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Kevee, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Kevee

Kevee Member

Hi All,

I have got some electric chases to run in a wall and was wondering about the use of expanding foam. This has probably been queried before but I saw one in Maplin (http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/everbuild-fix-and-fill-expanding-foam-filler-750ml-a22rg) which seems to indicate it can be used.

I admit there is a large price difference but was wondering if any expanding foam could be used because it is made differently now?

Thanks,

Kevin

2. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

IMO, if you are plastering over then don't use exp foam. It will be more trouble than it's worth.

Use plaster bonding coat to almost fill the chase and then hardwall skim to finish.

Joel Drury and tore81 like this.
  3. Kevee

Kevee Member

Thanks Bazza, I was toying with the idea of filling, cutting down to level with plaster then painting.

4. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

It will look cr@p. You will always see the chase and the foam filler. It doesn't finish smooth.

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Bonding plaster then easifill. The beauty with easifill is that you can sand it down to the existing plaster and will be invisible if you've done it right :)

Btw, if its an old property with no cavity wall, then use sand/cement render instead of bonding...

6. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Yeah as cgn says as bonding coat will absorb moisture. One thing a lot of people have said (although it's handy) is that one coat stuff is carp. I find the dry wall adhesive good for putting galavanised boxes in. Goes off in an hour and rock solid

CGN likes this.
  7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

All the chase I have ever done have been capped over with metal capping.

Used one coat plaster to set the channels in as find it is more denser, but never able to achieve good finish on its own, so tend to use it to fill deep holes or setting in back boxes.

Then go over with filler.

8. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Filler? why? You need to improve your plastering skills, mate ;)

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Always had trouble trying to feather in the edges using finishing plaster.

Filler is easier to sand.

Does take time but not professional.

Wall are painted so have to be perfect.

Did use undercoat plaster for one job see 'Nest project'.

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Dont forget to pva the chase before plastering Kev - mix up around what 3 to 4 water to 1 neat pva.

12. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Pva!!! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

13. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Yes kool - I know what your thinking but its not relevant to the situation m8..:)

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

;)

15. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

I'd also say, don't use bonding on the internal face of an external wall. if there's any moisture in the wall the bonding pulls it through, I'd opt for sand and cement here then skim.

FatHands and KIAB like this.
  16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I've used Thistle multli finish as a undercoat & skim coat for filling a lot of chases over the years.

17. Kevee

Kevee Member

Thanks all for the help, I do not know if this should be under a new thread or not but as part of this work I am also planning to install an external socket with the RCD built in. Because I am extending the ring main (hence the original post) I am assuming I can spur off one of the sockets I am putting in.

My predicament is do I put in an FCU and then spur off that or do I just spur of the socket?

Thanks.

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

One advantage using a FCU first, it allows you to isolate the external socket.

19. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

An alternative to an FCU would be a 20A DP switch.

20. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

And no need for an RCD socket, as if you're socket circuit isn't currently RCD protected, as your altering it, you should be providing RCD protection.