Wall Fixings

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by colin, Feb 25, 2011.

1. colin

colin Guest

I want to hang a wall cupboard on an interior wall.  The wall is of compressed straw construction finished with a thin plaster facing.
    Can anyone advise the best fixings to give a secure hold in this type of wall?
  2. joiner1959

joiner1959 Member

Is it a Stramit type panel? How heavy will cabinet and contents be?
  3. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Difficult! You need timber reinforcement, or rip the wall out and fit a proper stud wall.
  4. colin

colin Guest

From what I remember of Stramit panels (about 40years ago and they were used for roofing) I think these are probably more dense.  When cut into, you are pulling straw out for ages.
    The cupboard weighs about 20Kg and its dimensions are 120cm wide, 40cms deep and 64cms high.
    The plan is to sit it on a batten to help take the weight and whilst the bottom fixings will be exerting a downward force, the top fittings will obviously have a degree of force trying to pull the fittings outwards.  The cupboard will be forming a semi-bridge alongside a tower unit and will be screwed to this on one side, again helping to take the weight, but will be unsupported on the opposite side (apart from the wall fixings).
  5. joiner1959

joiner1959 Member

Short of digging out and fixing battens etc, a heavy duty helicoil screw, resin bonded into place should work.  You could also fix a batten to the wall at the top with helicoils and screw up through the cabinet into it, increasing the fixings. Sounds a bit belt and braces I know but with this type of construction needs must.
  6. colin

colin Guest

Thank you Joiner1959.  Are you allowed to give trade names on this site- if so, what would I be asking for re the helicoil fixings and what sort of resin?  Sorry, but I am not in the trade myself-just doing a job for my lad!
  7. joiner1959

joiner1959 Member

Links to other trade sites will be deleted. I would always go for a quality resin, FischerVinylestar (Screwfix cat no- 80157) Do a general search for helicoils, they should be the same depth or slightly longer if possible than the depth of the wall panel. Resin doesn't always need to be used, but with Stramit it will provide a solid fixing.
  8. colin

colin Guest

Many thanks for your help.  I'll take it from here and see how I go. Cheers.