Wall/Floor Tile Gap.

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by gandw, Aug 21, 2016.

1. gandw

gandw New Member

Hi,

I am tiling the walls and floor of a new bathroom and this might seem like a daft question but could you help me please.

I have been told to tile the walls first but leave the row of tiles nearest the floor until the floor tiles are laid. Therefore my question is how far up the wall do you start the second row of wall tiles so that when you come to fit the first row there is sufficient gap not to start cutting the tile to fit or have too much of a gap between the floor and wall tile.
    I was told that the wall tile should sit on top of the floor tile, is this correct?

Thank you in advance.

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Only DIY here but here's a few other things to think about;

It's not just the bottom row to consider, you need to work out how much of a tile will be left at the top of the wall, meeting the ceiling - taking grout lines into consideration as well (2,3 mm spacers)

Looks terrible if you finish with a skinny piece of tile at the top or even worse, just slivers. It's a balancing game exactly where to start to give the best finish and pleasing to the eye. Also take into account where tiles will meet windows, baths, anywhere else cut tiles will be needed. Again, try to avoid having skinny bits of tiles around these areas. Not always possible of course, depends on room measurements and tile size

Setting out before you start is massivly important, check, double check, triple check, where all the cuts are gonna work out, not just top and bottom but either side of the wall as well, and keep all the lines dead horizontal and vertical, keep checking as you go, easier to make a little correction on a few tiles rather than a whole wall tipsy and doesn't line up with the return

Good luck and get the spirit level and pencils out (or laser level of ur posh) !

3. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

You want at least an inch cut on the bottom row of tiles, that way it's enough to cut cleanly, and there is a bit of room for an out of level floor (the reason you don't go straight off a full tile).

As mentioned, It is all dependant on setting out - the most important part of making a tiling job look professional.

4. gandw

gandw New Member

Thank you for your replies. This makes me feel more confident now. Will have to get the spirit level and pencil out as I am not that posh :)