Wall mounted tv wiring

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Corkyjohn, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Corkyjohn

Corkyjohn Member

I am mounting my tv on the chimney breast wall & wondered which way is the easiest to drop the wires down to the bottom then out through the side? Any advice appreciated thanks

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

If the chimney is not in use, (and never will be!) drill into it and drop the cables down inside and then out again at the bottom.

3. Corkyjohn

Corkyjohn Member

I've drilled the top hole behind the tv but ideally would like to drop the wires down then out through the right hand side of the chimney breast rather than the front. This would mean I'd need some way of hooking the wires & pulling them through?

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I take it the fireplace opening is bricked up or otherwise blocked off then?

5. Corkyjohn

Corkyjohn Member

The fireplace was boarded up a couple of years ago

6. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Cut a hole in the side of the chimney breast, drop your cables down and then fish around with a straightened-out wire coat hanger. It shouldn't be that difficult to hook them out. You'll probably need a hole about 50mm square to make it easier, just fill it up afterwards or fit an electrical blanking plate over it.

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As long as there is a physical void behind the fireplace, allowing the wires to drop down, then its just a case of "fishing" the wires through

Electricians will have a set of flexible rods for this purpose but you can use a length of stiff wire, plastic conduit or similar. Easier with 2 people, feed this wire from top to bottom hole, grab it at the bottom with pliers and pull through a few inches, obviously leaving a good few inches at the top as well (this will probably take a few attempts, some sweating and swearing will be likely also) !

Tape all your cables to the wire at the top, securely, and gently pull through and hold your breath

You can use these brush faceplates to neaten up the access holes, come in single and double gang. Allows 3 pin plugs, scarts, hdmi, etc to pass through the faceplate

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Brush-Faceplate-1-Gang/p/204733

8. Corkyjohn

Corkyjohn Member

Lol been fishing for an hour & it aint working

9. Corkyjohn

Corkyjohn Member

I used a 50mm drill bit, the problem being the side wall thickness was about 12-14" meaning theres not much allowance for flexing anything.

10. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

FatHands likes this.
  11. Corkyjohn

Corkyjohn Member

Genius.....will give that a shot

12. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Wire coat hanger will do it, feed plenty of cable down to give you a better chance of grabbing it.

13. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

experience counts for a lot with this sort of thing, welcome to the "club"

14. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

Are you sure the cables have gone down far enough ??

15. moppylhd

moppylhd Member

You should have a vent at the bottom of the blocked up chimney breast to allow it to breathe. If not fit one and work from there. Good luck.

16. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

There may be something obstructing the way such as an old fire back or flue liner. Just sayin' like.

17. Corkyjohn

Corkyjohn Member

Thanks lads, the cable is pretty flexless & I think its coiling but not dropping down. Gonna crack on in the morning as I've been DIY'ing all bloody day

18. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Blimey. I'd have used a 14mm or similar. Less space for the cable folding on itself.

19. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

How many cables / leads are you trying to pull through ?
    I guess power lead but then HDMI / Scart / others ?

20. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Fair enough point... 14mm might not do it then!