Wall not supported by RSJ

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by r_c, Aug 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. r_c

r_c New Member

We have had a beam put in, but it does not look to me like the wall above is fully supported. The house has breeze block construction downstairs, and timber upstairs. This is a detached house.

In this picture I am looking up from under the beam. The joists are on the beam, and then you can see the wall plate that rests on the ends of the joists.

Is that right? How can the wall plate not be fully supported?

2016-08-07 09.31.42.jpg

2. Fatboi

Fatboi New Member

Looks like the beam could of gone back abit more an wall plate lined up over beam better

r_c likes this.
  3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Joists could have all been cut the right length, apart from that the small wall above doesn't look load bearing so shouldn't be a problem.

r_c likes this.
  4. Wallplate? What wallplate?

The joists above are roof rafters, surely, and are very likely self-supporting. Unless there's an ashlar wall above that floor? If so, where does this wall actually come up from - could it be from above where the steel beam is located?

r_c likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree.

A bit messy, but ok.

r_c likes this.
  6. r_c

r_c New Member

I am not in the building trade, so please excuse my mistake and correct/educate me. I thought the bit of wood that runs along, sitting on the ends of the joists is the wallplate. The timber framed exterior wall of the first floor is built on this. The first floor is timber framed.

I hope this other photo shows that the joists are not part of a roof.

2016-08-19 18.48.33.jpg

7. r_c

r_c New Member

This is a detached house, so I thought that means that all four external walls will be load bearing?

8. Phil the Paver

Sorry, fail to see what the house walls have to do with the steel.

The steel itself is sitting on a pad stone which is correct, the rest of it as per photo seem ok.

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It looks like the RSJ has been put in too high, In the first picture all the joists / rafters that run at 90 degrees to the RSJ have been notched to fit over the RSJ.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You have a padstone,couldn't really put rsj any lower, otherwise you will end up below top of opening to your left.

11. I'm still struggling to understand this :oops:

The sloping rafters to the left of the RSJ - is that chust a wee extension roof on the main house, or does it continue upwards to a ridge above the main house?

That low 'wall' immediately above the joists wot are sitting on the RSJ - what's on the other side? Is it a room?

Does that wall support the sloping roof rafters - is there a purlin there where there's that flat timber which I presume is what you call a wallplate?

How far do these sloping roof rafters go?

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

At the moment the RSJ on the right is above the lintel in the opening on the left. Under the lintel on the left the builder has put in some slips to raise the lintel up - the bond looks mismatched in the corner above.

Without the drawings it is difficult to see what the architect had planned but would have thought the padstone would have been lower to avoid cutting the timber joists

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

You've bene since 2.... I couldn't get any sleep either :oops:

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Sad thing, wasn't doing at 2 am what I could at that time 30 years ago ;)

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could have drop rsj about 150mm - 200mm max, I say, any lower your then below door way to left.

16. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Has the beam been put in at the side of the wall it replaced?

17. r_c

r_c New Member

I realise that I have not done a good job of describing this, and the photos don't show everything. I hope this drawing helps to show the structure above the beam. Thank you everyone for your input! :)

2016-08-21 20.02.28.jpg

The project is a double storey extension, where the ground floor that projects a bit further than upstairs.

The height of the beam is another issue all together which we aren't happy with. It will only be 2.2m, which isn't much higher than a door frame.

The sloping roof you see to the left of the beam in the photo is a sloping roof for the ground floor extension. It stops when it joins the house. There is a bedroom above this beam. I hope the drawing answers your question?

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I would get a structural engineer to have a look. That is quite a lot of loading coming through that block wall. I am surprised there is no pier at the corner

19. Phil the Paver

Yes, get a SE to spec it properly, now you've show what's above it it doesn't look right.