Wall plug advice suitable for 80mm length shank & thread

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by sherlock2, Aug 5, 2016.

1. sherlock2

sherlock2 New Member

Hi I want to fit as secure as possible 10mm m4 stainless screw eyes into a 15mm render and standard concrete block wall. Screw eye shank and thread length is 80mm. I am wondering if a shorter than 80mm plug pushed deep into the wall with a stainless sleeve over part of the shank that does not reach the plug is best or a 80mm plug to match both screw and shank would be strongest. Any thoughts good people? Thank you.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What you using eyebolt for.

3. sherlock2

sherlock2 New Member

Sorry ancient reply. Well during my 25 odd years clambering on roofs I always appreciated being able to tie ladder to something so thought I would put a few round my house.

4. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

I have done exaclty what you are trying to do and used ordinary galvanised eye bolts set in to chemical mortar. We subsequently dangled someone from the eye bolts with a rope, so it certainly passed the test for strength! Just make sure the holes are well cleaned of dust and fill the hole with chemical mortar. I also find it helps to smear the mortar in to the thread of the bolt to ensure it's well covered, then push the bolt in to the hole with a small rotation and let it set. The chemical mortar is completely waterproof. I put the bolts in three years ago now and they absolutely as solid as a rock. The good thing about this method is that its less dependant on the hole size in that it doesn't really matter if the hole is a little too big, also the chemical mortar will fill any voids in the brick.

sherlock2 likes this.
  5. sherlock2

sherlock2 New Member

Thanks DaveF. Never used chemical mortar. Will research. Thread would be better than coach screws as the anchor I guess.

6. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select