Wall tiles, plasterboard & skim

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Jay459, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Jay459

Jay459 Member

My tiler did all my downstair floors before christmas and was a very good job. He did my upstairs bathroom as well with 16mm quartz stone tiles. He asked me to screw down 6mm plywood to the chipboard which i did.

I told him id get him back to do the walls at some stage but he wasn't too happy as the tiles are quite heavy and he said going on to a stud wall may be unsafe.

I'm going to give him a ring soon to ask him to do the tiling and whats the best way to get the job done right. The tiles are costing me near a grand for the wall so want the job done the best it can be.

What do you guys think, possibly get some 12mm plywood. I can remove the plasterboard i suppose it wouldn't be a massive job. Its a small bathroom and only 3 walls to deal with....

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Different wall materials are able to support different loads so he is quite right telling you.

Have a read: http://www.tiles.org.uk/services/frequently-asked-questions/#16

Plasterboard can support 32kg/m^2 unless it is skimmed which takes it down to 20kg. The weight is not just the tile but the adhesive as well. Wood is similar to plaster board and will need treating to ensure moisture resistance.

The answer is a fibre based cement board such as HardieBacker - up to 60kg/m^2 which should be adequate for most tile types. Available from most tile suppliers or DIY sheds.

Just check with your tiler that he will be happy.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016