wall unit help

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by tina lucinda lane, Jun 21, 2017.

1. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

ok got two wall units 1 has this type of fitting https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/11hp32oYggL.jpg it has 2 in brow with brow flex both wired into one plug what i want is one of those multi socket power lead units (each light has a 2 pin plug and plugs into the power block) i want the power block and the plugs or plug tails as for the 2nd i just need a brown 2core perment flex conector im doing this for my dad

2. Is it possible to write that in English that is understandable.

3. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Can't you take them into a junction box instead of bothering with plugs & sockets?
    If it must be brown you can get spray paint dye for plastics (the JB)...

tina lucinda lane likes this.
  4. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Tina, think I'll find its called gold flex ,not brown!gize a picture ,we'll sort it for you.

5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Those old school 80s filament lamps did come in brown and white. Wouldn't be fitting that old tat these days though! Fig-8 plugs.

6. tina lucinda lane

this aint english class and yes i failed english so laugh away and i shall join you

7. tina lucinda lane

as asked pics of what im after Wall unit 1.jpg Wall unit 2.jpg Wall unit 3.jpg

8. tina lucinda lane

i think you will find this is BROWN flex not GOLD flex i may be blonde but im not colour blind what does every 1 else think

Attached Files:

9. tina lucinda lane

my bad just saw the typo dam phone (sum of the keypad buttons are wearing out so have to be pressed hard to get it to type)

10. tina lucinda lane

so any one want to jump in and help

11. Lectrician

I've not seen these fittings in around 15 years!

12. tina lucinda lane

wow what do you call the little block?

13. tina lucinda lane

seams i may of sort of answered my own question with this product (btw i would down rate the fuse to a 3amp or a 5amp fuse rather than the 13amp that is fitted) as apart from being 3pin where i only need 2pin however (not 100% on this bit btw) should make these a Polarized conector (meaning it can only fit one way round) also earth will be fitted on the supply side but not used on the small output plugs

14. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Their probs bayonet lamps? Polarity don't matter!

15. tina lucinda lane

no there bi pin as in one pin at each end of the bulb either 221mm or 284mm (havent checked yet) and polarity always matters 1st as most common switches are only suppose to isolate line (live) also even if i was bayonet it could end up edison screw via an adaptor

16. Lectrician

You may want to re-think that comment ;)

17. tina lucinda lane

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thats a point. BC lamp holders polarity doesn't matter - however when fitting ES lamp holders I always make sure that the centre contact is live. You can buy BC to ES converters, and if these are used then it is hit or miss as to whether the centre contact is live - hmmmmmmm

19. Lectrician

ES lamp holders complying with BS-EN60238 are not polarity important.

20. tina lucinda lane

makes you want to get a bc to es adaptor (and a es test fitting adaptor) to check them all however maybe overthinking this can a bc go in only 1 way round or can the pins (bulb side) end up swaped round? Hmmmmm makes the mind boggle