Wall/window query

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by mo786, Jul 5, 2014.

1. mo786

mo786 New Member

Be grateful for any thoughts on this.

I have recently had a new wall built to the front of my house - this is the main breeze block wall and the bricks (with insulation in the middle).

The old wall was conrete whereas this is breezeblock and brick.

As a result I have my window set in the bricks right to the top of the house so it is level with my fascia. The window is only screwed into the bricks at the side (as there is nothing above it). Building control will look at it - but is this generally considered a strong enough fix - bearing in mind people pull and pushing at the door handle over many years?

Secondly - where the breeze block wall is, the lintel is concrete and is set slightly hiegher than the window (the window stops where the fascia is but the load bearing wall goes higher up to the wall plate).

This means when you are standing in the inside looking out of the window the breeze block wall has a hole that is larger than the window - the breeze block has a lintel at the top. My builder has suggested I can just get the plasterer to box in the gap

See photo
    http://1drv.ms/1mgXFN0

I wodnered whether this is acceptable practice?

I ran it by a plasterer who said it is do-able but I could ask that the lintel is lowered and breezeblocks put above it -so rather than boxing in with plasterboard I just have 1 sheet that is flat (i.e will have 1 plasterboard on each edge/side making a rectangle shape)

I would prefer a more solid or 'full' wall but would it make any difference in the long run?

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The fixing is fine, the lintel is a cock-up.

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The whole lots a cock up, look at the state of the block work on the LHS of the window, it's not even square and at right angles to the window.

Why use a concrete lintel there??

The blockwork joints don't line up with the window top so lots of packing would be needed to move the lintel.

It looks like a bodge job all round to me.

4. mo786

mo786 New Member

I think the way I have taken the photo might make it look like the wall in not straight up.

The lintel has been used as that is the top of the wall - lintel is only above the wall - the window does not have a lintel there as it goes t othe top of the house/fascia and there is no space (been approved by surveyor).

Can you advise what you think should happen with the lintel?

5. mo786

mo786 New Member

just to clarify the concrete lintel is right at thetop of the wall - there is nothign above it appart fro mthe wooden wall plate for the roof - i would have preffered the lintel at the same level as the top of the window with blocks above it - so there would be less boxing in.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What is above the window and below the lintel on the outside?

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

can you post more pics showing the lintel and above it better.

its still a bodge job in my eyes, on the LHS you have a straight joint in the cut blocks that the lintel sits on and that left reveal isn't square.

8. mo786

mo786 New Member

Window - on the outside the window has bricks at the sides and bottom and nothing on top - it will meet the height of the fascia so will not have a lintel on top.

Lintel - the breeze block wall as shown - the lintel is at the top with the roof wood on top. There is nothing directly underneath the lintel on the outside. Underneath what is shown in the picture there is more breeze blocks and it goes down to the next floor.

The idea is that plasterboard is used to box in the gap you can see (i.e that wooden bit will effectivley be not visible as the boxing in will cover it.

I take your point about that final block not being staggered though.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

As I see it above the window you will have a upvc fascia, 18mm ply and plasterboard. Is your BC happy with this?

10. mo786

mo786 New Member

I presume so - he is in touch with my surveyor and my surveyor says this is common

I had to have it like that as if i put the windows down lower they are too close to the floor.

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's not that common as I've never seen anything like it, it looks like pure laziness to me.

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Get a bigger window....simples! :D

13. mo786

mo786 New Member

Do you mean the window being at the top or the requirement for boxing in?

I would agree that the lintel should be level with the top of the window - hence my asking.

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I presume it was done this way to save having to cut blocks if the lintel was where it should be.
    I don't think it is structurally any weaker doing it that way but it looks wrong, something needs to be done to stop thermal bridging and water ingress.

15. mo786

mo786 New Member

The window was one I had before - being reused - from the outside the windows is as high as the fascia - i.e it cannot go any higher

obviously inside the house the wall is higher then why there is a gap.

the question is ultimatley shoudl the wall on the inside match the hole of the window or does it not matter. obviously i owuld prefer it to match so thel intel is lower and I have mroe of a breeze block wall over boxed in plasterboard.

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The answer is yes it should but I can see why it was done like that.
    If your BC has seen it and is happy then provided your builder can tell you how he's going to insulate and seal it properly it should be alright.

17. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

And all that wood needs insulating, blocking at the outer edge of cavity and sealing off. Are they cheeks that go straight through? Are they timber? If so, no good. Bad idea.
    Need lintel inside at height of window, built over with block That's the idea of a lintel, to support whats above it. Not needing to build under it.
    Start again.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If it was a 2 storey building I would totally agree with you but all that is above the lintel is the ceiling plate so if the lintel was directly above the window there would just be a run of half blocks above it.
    It's not right but it seems to be a bodge brought on by reusing an old window which presumably was the clients choice.

19. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Well the window would never be at the height that the existing lintel is, so if the window was lower anywhere, the lintel would be at the head - always.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'm sorry I don't understand any of that.