Wallpaoering an Arch

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by fred812, Oct 6, 2015.

1. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Got an arch between two rooms. 'm papering one of the rooms and need to paper just the room wall of the arch, ie not the inside bit of the arch if you get what I mean. Trouble is the paper just comes down to the edge of the arch and trying to trim it neatly is a mare.
    Any advice please?
    Thanks
    F

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Easy, paper the room wall of the arch, leave the paper oversize and trim it using a straight edge and snap off knife. I always trim back by about 5mm to leave an edge. Also I emulsion the edge prior to paperhanging.

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Paper down an inch or so past the arch make sure the edge is well stuck, leave overnight till dry and trim with a small snap off knife with the blade flat against the underside of the arch. Result a nice clean edge, any tiny snags use a bit of fine abrasive paper to smooth. Main thing is to use a VERY sharp knife!

4. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Ok, thanks both.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Just to add to the dry method, push the blade into the void at 45ยบ angle, no pulling.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

teabreak likes this.
  6. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Yes. thankyou, started off with a saw motion but quickly found that pushing against the wall was the way.