Wallpaper behind radiator

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Gary1240, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Gary1240

Gary1240 Member

Hi all. Toying with the idea of taking off a radiator and wallpapering behind it. Is it worth it. Thinking of the paper behind the rad peeling due to the heat etc.

2. proby

proby Active Member

If it's your house and you know what to do get it off and flush it through outside. Much easier to paper if it's out the way, use some boarder adhesive or some pva behind the rad and it'll be fine. I always tell customers I don't remove radiators I paper behind them wile there on the wall if they want them off its up to them to get them removed. Reason being you never know if there is going to be a problem then I'm liable for the cost to get it fixed. But my own house they come off.

Astramax and seen it all before like this.
  3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Astramax likes this.
  4. paul hartley

paul hartley New Member

As long as you turn rad of at both ends you should be fine, if yo have thermostatic rad valves put a blanking cap on each valve as they can open even after being turned of as they are temperature sensitive allways use two set of movables when undoing valves , 1 set to hold valve and 1 set to slacken rad nut

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

It's usually a straight forward job to remove rad and replace later, possibly even quicker in the long run than trying to paper behind and around rad

Loads of info on this site re removing rads (if your not sure) or just ask

Remove brackets as well and as you paper, pierce holes through the paper where the wall plugs are. Also a good idea to measure from floor to bottom of brackets to ensure they go back in same position and pipework lines up. Obvious if fixed through screw holes in brackets but cut out slots may have been used for 1 or more fixing. Also note which way round brackets have been fitted to wall as often the metal brackets are duel depth

Yeah just go for it.....best option and finish......:)