Wallpaper finishing help!

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by rs139, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. rs139

rs139 New Member

So this is how it goes...I had only wallpapered once in my life (about 15 years ago) so when we decided we want a feature wall in the lounge, I thought I'd do it myself. For an absolute amateur, I think I've done a very decent job (had to really with it being £100+ a roll!).

The problem I've got is that all four edges (with the ceiling, against the skirting and at both ends where it meets the adjoining walls) haven't been cut very neatly, its jiggedy jaggedy. How can i sort this out so I have a straight finish? I don't really want to use coving which would fix the top edge.

Any help appreciated!

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

pics?

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

So looking forward to this one!:eek:o_O
    The 'blind leading the blind' :p

4. rs139

rs139 New Member

Attached Files:

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If it is overlapping, you can now(now it is dry) use a straight-edge and cut a straight line with a Stanley knife or similar. Then thoroughly wet the cut piece and peel it away. Simple.
    If it is short, mmm well? Blue Peter fix using a thick pen of similar colour? Similar or contrasting thin border paper?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. rs139

rs139 New Member

This one is at the top along the edge of the ceiling
    Thanking you.

Could I run a bead of decorators caulk along the edge to create a straight line?

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Is the picture the wrong way round?
    Looks like the paper is from the Cell Block 'H' collection.

8. rs139

rs139 New Member

It's coming up on my phone the right way when I click on it. It should be the right hand side of the wall. I've tried to upload a few more pics but they're too big.

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Against a white ceiling, yes. It'll be as good as your ability to make it look good(whatever that is)!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. Is that paper as textured as it looks? If so, beware of using caulk as to apply a neat bead without leaving side 'tram-lines' is nigh on impossible, and removing the tram line from that paper is gonna be nigh-on impossible, I fear.

This hurts, but I'm with Mr Ha on this one... If the paper is extending beyond a corner/edge, then hold a straight edge against the paper and run a craft knife along it. And to fill in missing strips (like it seems in that photo) you could try cutting a suitable thin strip of the paper and pasting it in there - the textured finish should help it blend in ok.

Or, use a matching felt pen as he says.

11. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

If all else fails then i would suggest 'framing' the wall. Using a suitable material to 'frame' the wallpaper

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

How much paper do you have left?

13. rs139

rs139 New Member

I've got a bit. I think I'll cut some slivers and fill in the gaps with the left over paper. The paper is really textured which will help disguise joins. As will the colour.