Wallpapering onto Emulsion

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Dr Decorator, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

Client on a tight budget.

Wall previously painted with Dulux Trade Matt and now wants wallpaper hung.

I have always cross hung but he doesn't want to go down that route as it a cheapish paper.

What can I put on wall prior to hanging paper?

I was thinking 123

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

123 is spot on target, done exactly that myself with no problem.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Why put anything on emulsion before papering?

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Just paste wall day before to seal. Paste paper and hang. I use garden sprayer to mist water on wall just before I hang paper, especially in summer as that helps.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

123 evens out the/any porosity, provides superior slip and paper adheres to it exceptionally well .

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  6. Mr. Handyandy

..like emulsion? Or is it because of it being matt?

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I would apply it over any emulsion prior to paperhanging.

8. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Being old school, I've only ever 'sized' a wall with diluted paste and with the price of Zinsser, there will be customers who baulk at the cost. I found this article quite interesting.

https://traditionalpainter.com/sizing-walls-before-papering

As an afterthought, has anyone ever tried acrylic primer as used for tiling.

9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

If you seal wall and put vinyl paper over you will be in trouble. Will trap the water between layers

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

So if he hangs vinyl paper over emulsion that contains vinyl such as Vinyl Matt, Vinyl Silk and Vinyl Soft Sheen............what then!

11. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I use ready mixed paste over sealed surfaces as it contains less water. I would also run a sander over it so it will stick better. Would not do it in the winter either. Then fingers crossed and hope for the best. May take a week or more to dry out

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Zinsser Bullseye 123 has a breathable film though.

13. Mr. Handyandy

But it can only breathe as deep as down to the previous finish!

14. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

I can see this one getting ugly. :D

15. Mr. Handyandy

Nah. I'm only trying to understand. As 'breathable' needs to be open to the air!

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Well best not to apply two coats then.

17. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Back in 2008 if memory serves one cold January i papered a HLS with vinyl wallpaper. Was over silk emulsion. What a mess. Got called back around 10 days later as it had bubbled along hairline cracks that never showed before I started job. Old filler under the silk emulsion had blown to. You could peal the paper off as the paste was still wet. Now we have Internet forums ect, It's a really savoury. We can get good information and hopefully avoid the many pitfalls. I don't mind if folks have a different opinion to me. I would hate to think they got problems like I have had, which is why I comment. Cost me as I put the job right later that year. I lined that one with ready mixed paste and made sure it dried nicely, then papered over with ready mixed paste. Was stressful, costly and a nightmare. Sorted it in the end though. Night. I'm off to bed