Wallrock Themal Liner

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by DIYDave., Jan 21, 2017.

1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

hi all
    Been reading up about this stuff and considering using it on a very cold bedroom wall, north facing, exposed to the weather and 11" solid brick

Website says it can be painted over directly or for better results, use their own Wallrock Fibre Liner, not regular lining paper

The Liner is expensive on its own (although discounted to £35 a roll at T Stn at moment) and the Fibre Liner also expensive

Was wondering if I could use quality 1400 grade lining paper with decent paste (halls beeline) and then emulsion as usual

Anyone used this stuff along with regular lining paper please ?

Many thanks guys and girls

2. No idea. But I'd have thought so.

If you can afford to lose an inch of space, tho', then go insulated plasterboard - the thinnest is only around 25mm total thickness, and will be FAR superior.

And probably cheaper.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nope & I qoute the following from wallrock.

We do not recommend applying traditional lining paper (or wallpaper) over thermal liner, because lining paper expands when wet and shrinks when drying up (paper based products are dimensionally unstable), which can cause the corners of Wallrock Thermal Liner to be pulled off.

But, you can use Wallrock Fibre Liner,which allows not only painting but also the application of decorative wallpaper.

http://www.erfurtmav.com/erfurt-mav-wallpaper-products/wallrock/wallrock-thermal-liner

4. Insulated p'board is still much better. :p

KIAB likes this.
  5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

And a good opportunity to do a bit of skimming :)

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And cheaper.:)

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Not cheaper as a 'whole' job from start to finish though also not as quick!

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It looks like the stuff I replaced for someone recently. It didn't provide any noticeable difference to the room at all. Apparently it was quite expensive when you they had to buy the special adhesive and then the insulated layer product. The one I removed also had to be filled where the joints but up and didn't look good where it met the window reveal.

I replaced the whole lot with some insulated plasterboard (47mm on the walls and 27mm on the ceiling), Even I noticed the difference and went from working in a fleece to without one. Not sure which boards I fitted as they were unbranded but it wasn't polystyrene on the back but something more rigid than Celotex / Kingspan.

Wallrock adhesive is between £13 and £20 a tub and the rolls vary from £20 to £35. For an average room you are probably looking a 7 rolls and around 5 tubs. So you are looking at around £300+

Depending in on your wall surface and type of board, they can be fixed directly to the wall either with "Dot and Dab" or adhesive expanding foam - TS stock Siroflex which is really easy to use.

I put in some hammer fixings just to make sure

KIAB and Deleted member 33931 like this.
  9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Wallrock Thermal Liner thickness 4mm, Insulated plasterboard thickness 47mm o_O:confused:

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Thanks for feedback and ideas but don't want to go with insulated plasterboard and skim and will more than likely give the thermal liner a try

£35 roll from TS at moment 10m x 750mm. 1 external wall only so not too bad on the wallet

Just didn't know if the recommendation to line with Fibre Liner is the company 'up selling' or will a good quality, regular lining paper and paste combo do the job

Has Astra used either of these products, either on their own or combined ?

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Useless v effectiveness and didn't make much difference to the room. The lady of the house wanted the thicker board on the ceiling as well

12. My thoughts, Dave, and only my thoughts since I haven't used it - is that the Wallrock is probably as good as a 4mm layer of insulation can be. And that is, it'll certainly help a fair bit. Ie, it'll reduce condensation on that wall, will make that wall more pleasant to be close to, and will make the room a bit easier to warm.

Insulation is amazing stuff. Remember the days of 3mm polystyrene roll (I think you can still get it!)? I recall as a wee kid coming across this stuff on a relative's old house wall, and being fascinated by how 'warm' it felt when I placed my palm on it. I realise now that 'warm' means that it didn't conduct heat out off my skin...

So, that's a piddly 3mm layer of cheapo polystyrene. I'm hoping that Wallrock is better still than this, and it's - ooooh! - a whole mm thicker! So I'd fully expect it to make a noticeable difference to the pleasantness of being near that wall. So, fire ahead if you really must stick with this stuff.

I would also think that, once it's adhered properly on that wall, it ain't going to shift easily. So, follow the instructions carefully, and allow PLENTY of time to ensure the proper adhesive has fully set.

Once it has, I'd be astonished if normal paste and normal lining paper would lift it. I'd be bludy amazed. And bludy pished orf too...

13. But, I still think you should go 25mm insulted p'board...

That WILL definitely make a HUGE difference. And that I know. 'Cos I've used (slightly thicker) stuff on a single-skin wall and made that room genuinely cosy and a doddle to heat. In fact, the PC I am currently using - along with the heat from my festering brain - is enough to warm it...

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I have used both, obviously 43mm will be much more effective than 4mm, fibre lining over the thermal lining is recommended due to minor movement (expansion/contraction) opening up the butt joints (very minor and irritating). If you ever use the polystyrene Warmaline you do have to cross line with lining paper and then a finishing paper cause that does move big time.
    DIY, have you viewed Youtube, all on there.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.