Walls out of square

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by John Bunyan, Mar 16, 2017.

1. John Bunyan

John Bunyan Active Member

I'm fitting a U shape kitchen and one corner is reasonably square and the other is quite a bit wider than 90 degrees, about an inch and a quarter over just four foot. My question is should the units always be scribed or can a butt and scribe be made out of Square? Thanks

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Masons mitres can be made out of square.

John Bunyan and KIAB like this.
  3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Unless you have L shaped corner cabinets, you'll be able fit your base units flat back against the wall as your corner post will allow you to 'pivot' that particular run. You can then scribe your worktop joints. You only scribe the male, cut female as normal. Most kitchens are out of square, but not usually that noticeable. If your work top has excess overhang on that run, you'll prob be able to redo the scribed joint if your first attempt goes awry.

KIAB likes this.
  4. John Bunyan

Thanks. CGN one of the corner base units is an L and it's the one at the greater than 90 degree corner. What would you do?

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Some times you can get away with a little fillet on the leading edge of the L and the straight unit. This can straighten out the run - the worktop overhang and kick boards will hide the slight deviation

KIAB likes this.
  6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

There's always a solution, like the one Sospan has suggested.
    I'd be considering altering the design and getting a corner post in there. Can you rejig the layout and put it in the other corner?

There are other solutions...

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Yep, I don't like ready made corner units that are all in one piece, for this very reason. As CGN says , consider altering the design and get two units and a corner post.

KIAB likes this.
  9. John Bunyan

You were the first to say that so my hat's off to you sir. I did the male out of Square and it was bang on or bangers. Thanks

CGN likes this.
  10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Sorry don't speak "Old Etonian" could someone translate this into English ?

KIAB likes this.
  11. John Bunyan

Sospan, chippie told me you can do a a mason's mitre out of Square so I just said thanks.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You're welcome. :)