Wardrobe - Best hinge option?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by paulo333, Sep 12, 2014.

1. paulo333

paulo333 Member

28mm thick louvre doors to fit onto 18mm MFC side panels. Preference is surface mounted doors but may be inset. Concealed hinges or visible - both OK.​

2. I think, for surface-mounted doors (they go over the edge of the unit sides?) I'd use this type: http://www.screwfix.com/p/easy-mount-hinges-90-105mm-pack-of-2/38662

Doesn't require a hole-saw like wot kitchen cupboard doors do.

But you'd likely need 4 per door if your doors are heavy. They don't all need to have springs - these can be removed.

Anyways, that style.

Ordinary 'butt' hinges won't work as you will be going into the end 'grain' of the MDF sides - not good. So I suggest you need hinges that will fit to the smooth sides of the MDF.

3. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Paulo, standard euro-hinges for frameless units. Any kitchen supplier/fitter will have them on stock. I would personally go for 3 per door. You'll need a forstner bit to make the flat bottomed hole in the door to accept the hinge. The doors will be self closing. You can adjust for squareness on the hinge.
    Good luck.

4. paulo333

paulo333 Member

Thanks for the input.
    Much appreciated.