Warning about cutting meter seals

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by unphased, Oct 14, 2010.

1. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I got a phonecall from a recent customer this afternoon to tell me that he had had a new meter fitted and the fitter was quite keen to report me for cutting the seals on the cut-out and meter. Apparently he was going to report me but calmed down and just told the customer to contact me and warn me that they are "clamping down" on it and to advise to be careful else I could have my licence removed (whatever that means). Gosh, what a naughty boy I am. :O

2. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Just a jobsworth Un..nowt more or owt less. H + S dictates about safe working practices..thus to allow safe isolation for certain electrical undertakings then the pulling of cutout is indicated. This overrides DNO stipulation of not seal snipping I would think.

3. fooman

fooman New Member

they are proberly more concerned about the meter seals being cut than the fuse seals :)

4. gazsparky

gazsparky New Member

for what it's worth, I sometimes replace the meter seal with a bit of 1mm cable and a wago, then at least I've been seen to make some kind of effort to seal it up (as the seal was already broken when I started work ;)

BigEverz likes this.
  5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

I see no point in attempting to reseal. I don't cut meter seals - henley block them.

6. Caddy

Caddy Active Member

So you cut the tails live and terminate them into a henley block?

BigEverz likes this.
  7. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

I always re-seal, even if there wasn't one there to start with, (which there never is of course!)I very rarely touch a meter seal though, just the cut-out. The little tubular seals and wire are available cheaply, I just crimp them using the tool for non-insulated crimps, looks very neat and I reckon if it looks right it's less likely to get questioned and it can't be said that I left it in an un-safe condition, none of my assessors have even commented.

8. wally2

wally2 New Member

I work on the tails live & fit them into a henly also, Ive always done it but should not have to work on it live.

9. wally2

wally2 New Member

I was having a word with a meter reader on a job the other day & he said they are now back working for edf & not via siemens as it used to be, He said they are reporting any broken seals ect which they now have to check more carefully than previous..

10. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Naughty boy Wally, you should know better at your age!

11. lamps

lamps New Member

ive never had to cut a seal as they are always cut :)
    how can they prove who cut them anyway,greedy gits

12. wally2

wally2 New Member

I always ask if the lady of the house would be on hand to give me the kiss of life if need be, non seem to keen sen.

13. Nob

Nob New Member

The little tubular seals and wire are available cheaply

Where do you get yours from Sen. I bought some a long time ago, not the same as you describe, the ones I got were like a red plastic pill with two holes in. I'm running low now.

14. FireballXL5

FireballXL5 New Member

I've lost count of the number of times I've cut the meter seals to renew the old tails with 25mm2 and found the suppliers tails screws as loose as sillys rectum!

15. state-it

state-it New Member

P & J Wales do a range of seals.

16. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Treat that with the contempt it deserves Roy my old flower!

If any of the meter monkeys would like me to stand in the dock and DEFEND my case on EWR act 1989 then bring it on I say.

Bl00dy jobsworth all of 'em

17. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Where do you get yours from Sen
    ---------
    Just search meter seals on Ebay Nob, all sorts on there mate.

18. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Just strip a lump of 2.5mm CPC..stick it in the holes and twist and solder..what the heck geezer its sealed.

19. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Another super tip..giving them away by jove.

20. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Does anybody actually know the official way the meter seals are supposed to be removed then? Who do you call? How much notice do they require? When do they reseal? How much do they charge?

It could add loads of complications to the job. For example, if you have booked an appointment for them to be there at 8.00am and they don't get there till 10.00am thats the sort of situiation I would be referrring to. I just can't see how it works. Waiting around for them to cut the darn things is just ridiculous.