Washer unit question?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by wakeywakey, Apr 20, 2015.

1. wakeywakey

wakeywakey Member

Hi Guys,

I have a normal sized free standing washer. 570cm deep.
    Worktop is 64cm deep
    On either side are open based units to which 2 doors are attached, which when closed hide the washer.

However, I am planning a new kitchen with a 450cm deep washer, so I think a normal 59cm worktop will do the job. However, everyone seems to be telling me the process I have currently won't work and to get an integrated washer instead. But I have read bad reports about them moving and off setting the doors etc, so I would like to keep my current arrangement.

Do you guys see anything wrong with having the 2 open based units with doors attached to them, like my picture?

20150420_153731.jpg

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

570CM :( that's a big old washing machine. :p.

I can't see any problems with that set up.

3. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

No problems at all. I build in freestanding appliances in kitchens frequently. It also allows you to take the appliance with you if you ever move house.

4. Cracking job, Wakey, and FAR better than integrated for all the reasons you mention.

I have the same setup - 800mm wide space, 2 doors, and worktop depth of 700mm.

A miserable job I had a few weeks ago was fitting a new integrated W/M for my mum-in-law - there was absolutely zero spare space behind the machine - I was on my back on the floor pushing the damned thing in wih my feet, trying to gain one extra mm. And then I had to fill the old hinge hole in the door and drill out a new one to suit a different make of machine...

Sheeeesh.

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Yep no problems with that set up at all. As Big Dunk says, it allows you to take your appliances with you if you move house .

6. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Out of interest, are those two 40cm doors with 10cm units either side? Or 50cm doors with 20cm units either side? Very neat solution to a common problem.

7. Wakey, the one depth issue you perhaps should double-check is the skirting board, as that is recessed a surprising amount.

But a 450mm deep W/M sounds pretty slim - and you've clearly sorted that issue before anyways :)

8. wakeywakey

wakeywakey Member

Thanks guys,
    Thought I was right.

Metro, they are 45cm doors with 15cm units.

Devils, I think I need to check that again, does seem very slim, and obviously would really mess up my plans.
    This is the washer thinking off, it does say 450cm deep doesn't it

http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/wmaqf621p/hotpoint-wmaqf621p-free-standing-washing-machine

But here's my problem.
    When I receive my new open based units and doors, the new units will be already made, so how the heck will I fit the hinges inside the unit?

9. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

10. "But here's my problem.
    When I receive my new open based units and doors, the new units will be already made, so how the heck will I fit the hinges inside the unit?"

I don't understand the issue, Wakey.

11. wakeywakey

wakeywakey Member

If you look at the unit that has the door attached by the hinge.
    How will I be able to get into that small space to drill holes for the hinge and also how will I fix screws in place.
    There is no room to manoeuvre.

12. Ah, I'd assumed that you'd built the last ones and would be building the new ones from scratch too...

Are you buying new open-shelf units again for your new setup? If so, these will almost certainly come flat-packed.

In which case mark and drill the hinge holes before assembly, using an existing base unit side for your measurements - which you must get pretty much spot-on...

Fit the hinge base-plates too before assembly. They you'll chust need a stubby screwdriver to fit and adjust the door hinge.