WASHING MACHINE SPUR

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Marcel Segui, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Marcel Segui

Marcel Segui New Member

Hi What would I need to install a socket under counter connected to switch above counter lever to operate on/off for appliance. Any help. Thanks

2. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

A switched fused spur off the ring final circuit that then feeds your single socket at low level for the washing machine.

3. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Although you would then have two BS 1362 fuses in series.

4. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Huh!, grow some brains.

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Or a 20A DP switch.

6. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Might not be a ring final circuit either, not that it matters if it isn't.

7. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

What's wrong?

8. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

He's right. You would have a 13A fuse in the spur and a 13A fuse in the plug. Better to use a 20A dp switch. :)

Risteard likes this.
  9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Concur with Un - that Rulland geezers bang out of order..:)

10. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Sorry guys been out of inter web range, it's common practice to have a SFCU feeding a low level socket.

11. MainBond006

MainBond006 New Member

What does it matter if there's 2x 13A fuses, one inside the fcu (spur) and one in the appliance's plugtop?

Makes no difference at all and that's how it's always done, no?

The troubling aspect of this question to me is why is someone asking such a basic question? DIY'r!

12. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

The need for a switch above the worktop is always controversial anyway. Integrated appliances are too deep to allow a socket directly behind them and inevitably the surface mounted socket ends up in the adjacent base unit. It is easy to get to the plug and unplug the appliance or switch the socket off if you need to. These switches above the worktop are often totally unnecessary.

FatHands likes this.
  13. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

It aint pal, a single socket outlet would suffice

14. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

In the SFCU above worktop situation, you'd cut the plug off and have a flex outlet below the worktop. Then just one fuse.

And don't bark on about removing the plug 'voids warranty'. I phoned up Indesit Group about this (Indesit/Hotpoint/Ariston) when a customer queried it and Indesit said it's fine.

For visual looks I prefer just a 20A DP switch above worktop, and a switchless 13A S/O below.

Jitender and FatHands like this.
  15. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Many ways to skin a cat imho, doesn't mean one ways wrong or right.

plumberboy likes this.
  16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I always use a FCU or would use a 20 Amp DP above worktop feeding a single gang so and just plug the wm in. Sometimes when you want to pull the wm out it is very easy just to unplug it as opposed to disengaging wires from a FO. As for two 13 amp fuses in series - I wouldn't give a hoot about it tbqh.

Jitender likes this.
  17. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Ditto JP.