Washing machine waste connection

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Silas14, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Silas14

Silas14 New Member

Hi. Like many people asking for advice here, I am also not a plumber and so any help will be gratefully received. I have just bought a John Lewis washing machine and the waste pipe is different to that on my old machine so a straight swap has not been possible. The position of the machine is just far enough from the outlet to require an extension pipe (washing machine drain hose). This pipe connects to the drain/outlet no problem. However,the new waste pipe does not fit the other end. The new waste pipe has a tapered rubber end (as if it is designed to slot vertically into a larger output pipe/drain). I bought a plastic 'two way connector' which slots neatly into the waste pipe but is too small for the extension pipe. What do I do???

2. Crazy Horse

Crazy Horse New Member

Why can't you just put the extended waste pipe into your existing waste pipe? The rubberised bit you have on the end is for connecting to a trap under say your sink unit.

3. Silas14

Silas14 New Member

Hi Crazy Horse. The waste pipe from the washing machine does not reach the drain and does not fit/connect to the extension pipe. Sorry, I appreciate the original message must appear garbled - a couple of photos would have been much easier!!

4. Crazy Horse

Crazy Horse New Member

Then you will have to move your existing waste pipe nearer to the new W/machine or change the trap on the sink unit and use the hose you have on your new machine.

5. Crazy Horse

Crazy Horse New Member

Is the existing waste pipe plastic?

6. Silas14

Silas14 New Member

The extension pipe is plastic.

7. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Have you tried lubricating the pipe with some washing up liquid. The rubber connector things are quite stretchy.

8. Silas14

Silas14 New Member

The end of the rubber connection is narrower than the end of the extension (leading to the waste outlet). So what I probably need is some kind of connector (don't know what the plumbing term is) narrow enough to fit snugly into the rubber pipe, and wide enough on the opposite side to fill the plastic end of the extension pipe. Thanks for the input Jimbo.