Waste pipe from kitchen sink to drain question

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by alexjb1989, May 21, 2017.

1. alexjb1989

alexjb1989 Member

Hi again all,

Now just connecting in sink waste to drain.

My question is, does it matter if I have to bring the waste pipe up higher than the trap for it to meet the pipe that drains into 6 inch waste pipe. I'm worried will raise the level the water sits in the trap nearly to be level with the entry point for dishwasher.

I cant really lower the point the 40mm pipe enters the 6 inch waste. So can't get a nice downward flow from trap like most setups have.

The pic explains a little better.

Any help of best to way to configure pipework very much appreciated!

I have bought lots of various size joints .

Cheers,

Attached Files:

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

With the above you are aiming to get a sink drain fitting the trap fits directly without any adaptors.
    By the way the existing waste is solvent weld, compression fittings like you have will fit but pushfit ones will not.

alexjb1989 likes this.
  4. alexjb1989

alexjb1989 Member

Thanks very much.

So basically, I need a trap this is quite short! and doesn't drop down to low?

5. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Yes, if you try to drop down and have no fall to the stack it will not run well and you could have"things" from the soil stack running back into your sink waste:eek:

alexjb1989 likes this.
  6. alexjb1989

alexjb1989 Member

gahhhh. What plonker designed the house to have the 40mm waste joining the 6" at that height! Why not join it lower down so the drop is easier to slope !

7. alexjb1989

alexjb1989 Member

Woud a shallow bath trap? or a Bottle trap be ok?

8. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

As a last resort you can pump it up & away.

alexjb1989 likes this.
  9. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

A shallow bath trap would tend to suffer from the trap being emptied by syphonage/suction when the WC is flushed. they are normally only used where the bath waste is separate as in the case of discharging into a hopper head.
    You could try an elbow on the bit coming off the sink to a running trap like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-running-p-trap-white-40mm/47605 then insert one of these in the pipe between the sink outlet and the trap.
    http://www.builderdepot.co.uk/plumb-out-kit.html?gclid=CIWipNK0g9QCFUO3GwodDxUEVA I am assuming the horizontal bit of pipe you were thinking of cutting is standard size.
    Ain't plumbing fun!;)

alexjb1989 likes this.
  10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

May actually be easier to start afresh, run with all new pipe and fittings, core through wall and run new pipe out to drain

Post a picture of the outside set up and where pipe currently drains to

No point lashing up as will cause future problems, what's the point eh ? Better a bit more money now, materials, effort, etc then job is good for next few decades

alexjb1989 likes this.
  11. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Being diy I doubt the OP will have the ability to drill a hole that size through the wall for a start never mind make the connection to the drains. If it matched up originally then it can be done again.

12. alexjb1989

alexjb1989 Member

Hi all!

I managed to do it!

I think half the problem was the German sink we bought. After the basket strainer it was setup to receive EU fittings, So we had to buy an adaptor which lowered it even more.

So I bought a another basket strainer (luckily it fitted) which was a lot higher up and needed no adaptors. Bought the Mcalpine P trap and I was able to get it to the main waste pipe without going above the horizontal and maintain a slope.

I've posted a pic!

Thanks everyone for all the input.

Attached Files:

13. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select