Water based finish over oil Primer/undercoat?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Sparks., Feb 16, 2015.

1. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

I've just made some timber shelves and given them a coat of wood primer, then oil based undercoat (both primer and undercoat proper 'mans' paint which has been in my shed left over from a job 23 years ago!) I don't really want to use an oil based topcoat as they will be prone to yellowing, so just wondering if anyone can recommend a decent water-based 'satin-wood' type finish?

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

23 years is alongtime!

I doubt you will be able to store modern paints with that kind of shelf life, if stored in an outside shed the frost can damage the paint.

I use acrylic wood primer and undercoat in one, the storage life of these paints is a lot more than for oil based ones.

i have not used a gloss finish in acrylic though.

3. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

Yeah, I was a decorator for 12 years then decided on an easier life and become a sparky! :) Bit out of touch now with modern paints, but have plenty of good old fashioned oil based paints left in the shed. Tins are rusty but the paint inside is brilliant, a pleasure to use. Haven't managed to find a decent water-based top coat though, do they exist?