water butt with no drain

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by dinahgale, Sep 1, 2016.

1. dinahgale

dinahgale New Member

I am having a downpipe fitted for a water butt but realise there is no drain in the vicinity. Will this work?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What will happen to excess water when when butt is full?, you get a lot of water off a roof.

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I suppose the same as if the butt wasn't there.

Just fit an overflow pipe to the butt draining away on the ground, or if possible, a near by flower bed.

4. dinahgale

dinahgale New Member

Oh dear. I was hoping that there would be some sort of device that might be put into the downpipe to divert water from a full butt back into the gutter (which drains into my neighbour's drive)

5. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

A little lateral thinking ...

Fit a ballcock in the water butt and feed that using say 22mm pipe from the gutter (with a filter). You will need to find a way to convert from the gutter to 22mm but it must be do-able. Water will flow down the pipe until the butt is full and then as the ballcock turns off no more will flow down.

6. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Don't think it will as the feed through is open ... I read it as though there is a downpipe there already which drains onto the neighbouring drive. The OP is having a second downpipe fitted specifically to fill the water but and does not want surplus flowing onto his garden.

8. dinahgale

dinahgale New Member

That is correct, Pollowick. These houses were original built as large detached dwellings but this was during a recession and because they weren't selling the LA gave permission for amended plans, changing them to two semi-detached. It sort of works but this is the reason for the odd drainage - all the run-off from the roof goes to a gutter leading to a drain on my neighbour's side.
    Thanks for all the advice chaps. All ideas welcome.