Water dribbling from combi flue

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by phobia, Oct 19, 2008.

1. rome60

rome60 New Member

Yes agree with Tom flue will move easy.

2. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Mine won't - jealous now :(

(Mind you, mine was fitted by an absolute 'pro'... :p)

3. rome60

rome60 New Member

always better to use a 127mm core bit as K Plumb said gives you that little extra tolerance to create a fall back to boiler.;)

4. myzeneye

myzeneye New Member

phobia... i fit vaillants all the time... your problem has been diagnosed correctly here,incorrect flue angle...
    as for it being hard/difficult to install with a 3' incline ??? rubish, the thing comes with a bleeding template which shows where to mount the hanging bracket and also several flue position centres... if you use the right size core bit,your 3 degree incline is fine...

also, as for you repositioning it your self... dont be alarmed by some of the comments made here...
    presuming the flue installed is a standard,rear exit flue...
    remove the self tapping screws which go THROUGH the elbow clamp, then remove the two pozi screws which hold the clamp shut and remove the clamp... reposition the flue
    using some aluminium flue tape, wrap the joint between the elbow and the flue, be sure to cover the drill holes from the self taping screws...refix the clamp over the joint,tighten the clamp screws, then re fit the self tappers...they'l probably have a new location in the outlet pipe to burrow into and may require a pilot hole carfully drilling....BE CAREFULL NOT TO DRILL THROUGH THE INNER DUCT....
    re-seal/point outside and refit the rubber collar...
    This will cure your problem and should be a totally self method for doing the job mate.
    now get stuck in.

5. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Makes me laugh,up a rickkety old ladder,with a **** big core drill,that could snap yer arm off if the clutch dont work,trying to drill so that your within 3 degrees.Wot a f***G laff.Ask the counter Rat if hes ever done one{dont think so}.Bum/spec would have a theodolite on his,the big Jessy.LOL................Sorry p&e, but this made me laff. I know he's a *, but sometimes the reality etc, etc........

[Edited by: admin6]

6. devil's advocate

Myzeneye, meet 'irony'. Irony, myzeneye.

"...dont be alarmed by some of the comments made here..."

The OP was planning to (ok, gently) push the flue up in order to reverse the angle of fall. No mention from anyone (er, except me...) about the strain this could cause on flue joints.

You - thoughtfully - go into more detail, explaining how to go about this job properly, and offering caution about points such as drilling right through into the centre - exhaust - pipe...

Ok, now even I'm alarmed :(

7. phobia

phobia New Member

Hi Folks
    Just to put your minds at rest. I moved the duct (It only needed moving about 10mm when I had could get a better look at it), it's been running for a day since then and it's great. No dribbling down my wall and there's a reasonable amount of water coming out of the condensate pipe.
    Many Thanks

This isn't really asking for advice, but does anyone know why so much steam comes out of these condensing boilers. They're supposed to be so much more efficient than the old balanced flue type, but my old balanced flue never kicked out this amount of steam. It seems a waste of a lot of heat.

8. devil's advocate

Good job, phobia.

About the 'steam'... Steam is actually an invisible gas given off from boiling water. Yep - invisible.*

It remains invisible as long as it's hot - stick yer hand into steam and it'll hurt - a lot.

The reason you don't see anything coming out of the flues of ordinary boilers is because it is still very hot steam, and most disperses in the air before condensing and becoming visible.

What you are seeing coming out of your condensing boiler isn't actually 'steam', it's 'water vapour' which has been formed by the steam having been condensed in the boiler by having most of its heat removed from it.

So, the visible 'steam' is a good sign!

If you want more evidence, stick your hand against the end of your flue (with all its visible plume) and then in the outlet of an ordinary boiler with no visible 'steam'. Guess which one will hurt...? :)

(*The next time you are boiling potatoes, look well in to the pan - or through a glass lid if you have one. Will you see 'steam' actually in the pan above the boiling water? Nope. You actually see the water vapour only after it's left the pan and condensed.)

9. myzeneye

myzeneye New Member

devils addy....
    well there's no shame in being thorough ...
    some of the posts implied he should not mess around with the flue and either recall the (useless)installer or seek the help of an rgi...
    i was merely trying to point out that the "improvement/rectification" was a simple one which anyone with half a brain cell could carry out....and lets face it, if i told a non installer to drill through an outer flue duct and DIDNT advise him to take care not to drill through the inner duct, it would be a little irresponsible of me now wouldnt it....

so, why is it your alarmed then ?

10. devil's advocate

Hi myzeneye.

Fair enough.

I chust thought it was amusingly ironic that that after reassuring the OP not to be alarmed by the cautious remarks from the other posters (er, me...), you then go on to describe just how involved a job it could be, and one that really shouldn't be tackled by someone who's never gone near a boiler flue before.

All the talk of 'wrapping tape', 'covering all the drill holes', 'not to drill too deep', etc. just goes to emphasise that it is an alarming task.

Ah well, he's done it, and seems ok... :)

11. mantor

mantor New Member

Two pages of b*ll^x, and all he had to do was stick a bit of brick under the outer end and mortar it up. That's what happens when the liked of DA get involved, 'paralysis by analysis'.

12. devil's advocate

Fair point, mantor.

Based on that, I think I'll offer a local 'flue straightening' service - where I walk up the road with a few rocks and a bucket of mortar in me 'and.

I look at it like this (correct me if I'm wrong - so I don't expect to hear from you...): when I see advice like this being given, I try to imagine what level of knowledge the OP might have.

If, say, he was like one of my brothers, and was told to simply push the flue up by what originally looked like 20mm+ and to stuff something under it to keep it in place, good chance there'd be trouble ahead.

If my bro then carried out the detailed info offered by myzeneye, then there would definitely be trouble ahead.

My boiler was fitted by an absolute genius (yep - that's me...), and there's no way the flue would tolerate being 'pushed around' like that - all the sections are securely fixed and screwed together as per the instructions. To move the end by 20mm would place a ridiculous amount of strain on all the joints, especially where it connects to the boiler where the leverage would be greatest.

And would I suggest to the likes of (again, I'm thinking of a fair cross-section of the population here) my bro, my dad-in-law, my neighb, etc. to start unscrewing, re-drilling and re-fixing the FLUE of a GAS boiler?!

Nah.

And you know I'm right.

And that you are a twit.

Again.

13. phobia

phobia New Member

Hi devils advocate
    Thanks for that. It's nice to meet someone who knows the engineering theory behind these devices, as well as how to install them.

14. myzeneye

myzeneye New Member

good grief man !
    it looked to me like the op was gonna sort it himeslf anyway and his method of just shoving the flu up 20mm raised concern as youll agree, this could end up with an iffy flue...
    as a responsible rgi giving advise to a lay man,i gave a detailed account of how to safely do the work... the reason i was so particular about the details is, as you said, to allow for the abilities of the op...
    now, as i wouldnt advise shoving a flue around without loosening the joints in the ducting to allow for the movement, i gave details on how to safely do this, and ensure the integrity of the flue by tapeing the old screw holes up.... belt and braces, but for a non rgi, every detail is important...

now if you brother isnt capable of removing around six screws,a clamp,then taping up the joint drilling a few small holes and reassembling the lot.... then im worried... youd better go round to his house quickly to make sure he's not drowning in a pool of his own drool.

o.k... im joking, but its not really highly skilled work and with GOOD guidance the op could remedy his own simple problem...

but, i agree mantor, da has managed to make a mountain out of phobia's molehill....

15. devil's advocate

Myzeneye.

That's the whole point - my bro couldn't do that... :(

However, my dad-in-law just about could, and my neighb definitely could.

But would I have suggested to either of them they do it on their own gas flue? I wouldn't. I honestly would not be able to relax knowing that someone - who had never touched a gas flue before - was about to dismantle his assembly, move it, drill new holes and reassemble it on my advice.

I was also surprised that Tom and rome60 suggested that the flue would have plenty of 'play' as it is to move it this far - and this was going to be around 20+mm in a 3' length of pipe. How? Mine doesn't move at all.

Out of interest, phobia (and not wishing to put you in an awkward position...), if you had found that the flue terminal was pretty firm and not easy to move, would you have (a) forced it anyway, (b) taken it apart, repositioned it, and re-screwed it back together as per instruction s given on this thread, or (c) called out a Corgi?

16. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

from personal experiance, if you were place the shortest flue ie aproxx 16 inches, thats staight out from the back through a cavity wall, if you have just taken out a balanced flue boiler, you will have a big hole and the flue angle could varie from drooping (brewers fashion)to a semi without compramising the seal at the elbow, which usually are a rubber push fit.
    its not rocket sc.......I hate that phrase, Its elementry

17. mantor

mantor New Member

its not rocket sc.......I hate that phrase, Its elementry

It is to you and me Tom, but softlad will probably get another 3 pages out this.
    Then again, you'd have had the job done, and gone on to the next while he's trying to do his risk assessment.

18. devil's advocate

BRRRRIIINNNGGG!! BRRRRIIINNNGGG!!

"'Ello?"

"Is that Mr Mantor, the famous and highly qualified Corgi?"

"Yeh. Wha' d'y want?"

"Well, the flue on the lovely new Vaillant Ecotech Plus you fitted for me recently appears to be suffering from brewer's droop..."

"Oh yeh?! Well stick a f*in' brick under it and slap on some f**n' mortar and don't f**n' bother me again with your f**n' trivial f**n' problems..."

{{{SLAM}}}

(Exit stage left...)

19. mantor

mantor New Member

BRRRRIIINNNGGG!! BRRRRIIINNNGGG!!

"'Ello?"

"Is that Mr Mantor, the famous and highly qualified Corgi?"

"Yeh. Wha' d'y want?"

"Well, the flue on the lovely new Vaillant Ecotech Plus you fitted for me recently appears to be suffering from brewer's droop..."

"Oh yeh?! Well stick a f*in' brick under it and slap on some f**n' mortar and don't f**n' bother me again with your f**n' trivial f**n' problems..."

{{{SLAM}}}

(Exit stage left...)

I believe you left out at least two 'f**n's' there.

One for me bird and one for you when I catch up with yer.

20. mantor

mantor New Member

If, say, he was like one of my brothers, and was told to simply push the flue up by what originally looked like 20mm+ and to stuff something under it to keep it in place, good chance there'd be trouble ahead.

If my bro then carried out the detailed info offered by myzeneye, then there would definitely be trouble ahead.

It's not anybody else's fault if you're family is retarded. Did you not once say that you came from some obscure Scottish island or other? Say no more.