Water hammer and hot kettling

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Stuw89, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Stuw89

Stuw89 New Member

Hi guys long time lurker finally signed up as im in need of help - come to a tennants property today and all the cold taps are hammering when open, and its building up preasure on the hot taps, as soon as a hot is opened the hammering stops.. Im presuming theres a boiler issue here or a crossed pipe at so point. Any help would be great - boiler is a valliant ecotec plus 824

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Try turning down the mains stopcock a few turns.
    Have you had any work done recently involving it being turned off?
    Have the water board recently fitted a water mater?
    Have you always had a hammer issue or is it recent?
    What type of tapas are they? Ceramic disk or washer?
    Almost certainly not a boiler issue, as when a second tap is opened the issue goes away because you have relieved pressure from one tap to two, I suspect the same would happen if you opened two cold taps.

3. Stuw89

Stuw89 New Member

Thanks for the reply there mate - the thing is it happens with any of the taps, if i run the cold on the whb in the bathroom the hot is the kitchen starts kettling up and the heat/pressure actually forces throufh the shut tap. I was thinking a mixer valve in the boiler could be passing the cold into the dhw and backfilling the pipework?

4. Stuw89

Stuw89 New Member

Also i tried knocking back the stop tap to no avail. The hammering only happens for the first 5 mins of running the water then it stop once the 'pressure' is let off. Really got me stumped:confused: so you think its definetly not a boiler fault here?

5. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Could be a mixer tap failed and back feeding or possibly if you have a thermostatic mixer shower that could be the cause. If your taps have ballofix valves on shut each set individually and give it a go, likewise with the shower.