water hammer

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by somewhat capable, Sep 21, 2015.

1. somewhat capable

somewhat capable New Member

Just had a new gas central heating system installed into my property from a gravity fed emersion hot water system. Am starting to get water hammer when using the kitchen sink. I have turned down the water pressure and this seems to have made it better but it is still there occasionally. Have not got the hammer anywhere else. We have a down stairs bathroom. I'm getting a Plumber to fit a new modern stopcock soon as I think that this may be the root cause but I was thinking of changing the taps from single hot and cold to a mixer. The distance between the taps is the general 180mm and the pipework is 15 mm. I was going to go down the flexible hose root with compression fittings to the copper but don't know what product to buy. I reckon on about 200 mm from copper to tap is the length of flexible pipe needed. What I need to know is... What mixer taps would suit my need and what fittings would I need to get also. Sorry about the lack of paragraphs in this thread but my tablet does not do paragraphs for some reason. Thanks in advance

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Had water hammer in previous property I owned 30 years ago, cured it by bending the ball cock arm a little to the side................but I'm not a plumber!

3. Hi SC.

If you have a gravity system, then most of your taps are fed by the low pressure from your storage tank, and that is very unlikely to cause water-hammer.

So the likely culprit is the kitchen cold.

The causes of 'hammer are numerous - simple loose pipe lengths, loose washer in the main stopcock wot vibrates, worn/loose washers in any ballcock such as your CWS (cold tank), toilet cistern etc.

Basically wot happens is that the abrupt change in pressure inside the cold mains pipe when a tap is turned onski or offski creates a pulsing wave which can sometimes keep itself going; you open a tap, the pressure falls, the washer moves...you turn the tap off, the pressure rises again, the washer is slapped back on to its seating. This makes the pressure drop fractionally - enough to make it slightly open again. Pressure now rises suddenly - and you have a bad case of the MCs.

(If you turn the cold tap off slowly, does that prevent it?)

Sooooo, you need to find oot where the 'source' of t'ammer is.

(How helpful was that?)

somewhat capable likes this.
  4. somewhat capable

Wot happens is ,the hammer starts when the hot water tap in the kitchen is turned on at modest flow and under. If you turn it on fast it didn't happen. That's why I figured on new mixer in the kitchen with ceramic washer and new stop cock underneath with ceramic washer. Am I on the right lines? It didn't happen when the cold is turned on at any pressure.the taps in the kitchen are ancient BTW as is the stopcock

5. :( So I'm wrong on every single count? :(

Wait a minute! :)

Ooops - no. Every single count... :oops:

Can you confirm - this new gas system, it ain't a combi boiler, is it? Or do you still have your gravity-fed hot cylinder with immersion?

Anyways, I suspect you are right - a floppy washer in the hot tap. Ceramic disc type should sort this.

6. somewhat capable

Yes. Brand new combi boiler system. No emersion tank. We have ripped the old economy 7 system out and have widened the kitchen because of this. When the gas was first put in, the water hammer caused a leak in the hot tap which seeped under the laminate flooring. Twas alright though the flooring needed replaced anyway so no harm done. The new flooring looks great but I don't want the hammer to cause another leak.
    We have concrete floors BTW and non standard construction steel framed house.

7. Oookkkaaayyy - either you need to improve your grammar, or I need to not jump to conclusions.

I think a bit of both... :oops:

I'd read, from your first post, that you still had a gravity system, and just had a new boiler fitted - not a change of system to combi.

In which case your 'hots' are also mains fed so that makes sense in it capable of causing 'ammer.

Good chance it's as you say - your old hot tap has a wobbly washer inside, and it's shaking around shutting t'flow onski and offski as it flaps around.

Very good chance that a new, ceramic disc, tap will sort it.

If it doesn't, then perhaps your mains water pressure is nicely high so could benefit from having a PRV installed. Or, you can fit wee vessels that are designed to absorb all these shocks and stop 'ammer. I've also read that water meters can cause this to previously ok systems, and that the WB should fit shock arrestors as standard - or is it that they should be fitted to all combi systems anyways? I dunno...

So, good idea to replace the tap first.

8. somewhat capable

That's what I thought. So now I'm looking at replacing the single kitchen taps with a mixer unit. The taps are 180mm from the centres and I am looking for a mixer unit that doesn't require me to get a new sink. Any recommendations? Budgeting for about a hundred quid. Old system fitted direct to copper pipes (15mm ) so can you also recommend the flexi pipe compression fittings also please

9. mickydee12345

mickydee12345 New Member

I had the same problem and it turned out to be the mains cold water stop valve to the house. It was not opened fully, as soons as the plumber opened it fully all the hammering stoped. Worth a try.

10. I wouldn't go further than this one - good brand, good reviews, good price: http://www.screwfix.com/p/swirl-rapture-dual-lever-deck-mixer-kitchen-tap-chrome/53252

The actual tap fittings should be the same, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were at slightly different heights. So if you want to chop the two pipes and add flexis to make life easier, then flexis with built-in isolating valves would make sense. Eg: http://www.screwfix.com/p/flexible-tap-connector-with-valve-15mm-x-x-300mm/3558g

You can start the job by chopping both pipes (er, water shut off first, of course...) and shoving these on. Once fitted, you can then turn the water back on and do the tap replacement at your leisure. All your cold taps will now have fresh mains water.

Just make sure you cut the pipes at the right point...

(One review says the valves drip. In this case chust leave the tap connector ends sitting in a pan...)

11. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

As a first step, fit a full bore maintap. Sometimes a length of plastic pipe can solve the problem as well. Try the obvious first. The full bore maintap will give a higher "flow" into the house.

12. somewhat capable

OK. Job done. Got the new mixer suggested and didn't need flexipipes as the old fitting were still good. Just used some ptfe tape to ensure a good seal. No water leaks and the taps work great. No sign of water hammer yet ( touching wood) it seems that the kitchen hot was the source of the water hammer but the ceramic disc has stopped the vibration thus far. Thanks for all help here. Next job. Replacing the bath mixer. The installer used plastic 3\4 pipework and have not come accross this new fangled plumbing before. Anything I need to know?

13. Don't solder within 250mm of it, don't kink it and make sure you use the correct inserts, i.e. use hep inserts with hep pipe, not speed fit for example. You can join straight onto it with a compression or push fit fitting. Congrats on sorting the water hammer. Lastly I'm not being pedantic buts its 22mm not 3/4inch.

14. somewhat capable

O.k. but I'm just replacing the mixer. Old mixer for new. Isn't it just a case of shutting off the water and changing the mixer. I've had a look behind the bath panel and there is a brass nut that squeezes the unit to the bath with the 3\4 sorry 22mm pipe connected via a plastic nut to the thread of the mixer unit. My question is more about the connection between here. Do I need a solvant paste or ptfe and can the plastic get brittle over time or do you think I could just undo the nut replace the mixer and retighten. My logic suggests that there is some compression going on to create the seal but I'm not sure.

15. Yep if your just replacing like for like your spot, on, undo the old one, stick a bit of boss white or jet blue round the olive and do the nut back up to the new tap. The plastic normally has a fifty year guarantee, Hep2o does for example. It won't get brittle. Only thing to check is that the previous plumber used inserts. Good luck!

16. It should hopefully be just as easy as the sink taps. In fact, it should be more easy as the plastic pipe allows more movement.

If it's a normal tap connector, there should be a fibre washer in there (like on the sink ones), so check it's good, wrap PTFE around it, or use a smear of compound.

Should be fine.

17. somewhat capable

OK. Job done. Thank-you screwfix. Good quality products and we'll within budget. No sign of water hammer either and the wife is happy (it just not like her) thanks to all the helpers on here too. Special shout out to devils advocate. Your advice was spot on. Next job. Kitchen cabinet making. But that's another story..........