Water in Foundation Trench

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by benben5555, Jun 7, 2016.

1. benben5555

benben5555 Member

Hi, I've dug a trial hole for my kitchen extension foundation and hit the water table at 800mm. Annoyingly the foundation needs to go to 900mm. How do I deal with this as I can't imagine Building Control will approve of 2 inches of water in the bottom of the trench.

Equally, even if I pumped the water out immediately before the concrete went in, would this provide a suitable base? I imaging it wouldn't be very firm.

2. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Once its dug unto firm ground water won't have a lot of effect.
    As the concrete is poured in the water is forced out. And concrete is full of water and loves water.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Dig a sump at other end of trench, continue running pump until trench is empty of water, switch off pump, pour concrete, once it's poured, water will have no affect on concrete.
    You might need to run pump ocassionally as you pour.

Most bco's would be happy with this, but just check with him to make sure.

Depending on the water you might need a sump either side of footings, & move pump as you pour.

benben5555 likes this.
  4. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

It may not be true water table: you'll often encounter volumes of water sat in local voids. Had an extension to do on the back of a house that was on piles: dig down and a mighty torrent came forth. Thinking of all sorts of expensive solutions but flow eventually stopped: the cellcore and shingle under the groundbeams was acting like a reservoir.

If you do have to deal with water then keeping the concrete fairly stiff will help

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Not being funny, and just asking cos I don't know, but how do you build a sump if it is the water table? The sump will have the same level water!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The water will drain into the sump from the trench,usually it will drain quicker than it refills.

7. Mr. Handyandy

But the sump will already have water at the same level!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

Only until it's pumped out, then unless the dig is in pure gravel the sump and excavation will re-fill with water slower than the rate at which the pump can get rid of it.

KIAB likes this.
  9. Mr. Handyandy

Ah, I guess it will. Ok.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Exactly, & once concrete is poured in that section of trench, water isn't an issue then, you move pump to next sump & repeat until all concrete is poured.

11. benben5555

benben5555 Member

Do hand water pumps exist or am I going to have to hire something?

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Hand pumps, were in the 21st century now.:D

Hire a Trash pump,most will handle solids up to 25mm, & will clear 1000 litres or so, of water per minute.

13. benben5555

benben5555 Member

That's handy, will take about 0.6 seconds to clear the 10 litres of water that are in there then :p

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Only 10 ltrs:eek:, dig a sump & bail by hand with a bucket, cheaper.

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You do realise you just admitted you were wrong about something :eek::eek::eek::eek:

KIAB likes this.
  16. Mr. Handyandy

I will always admit when I'm wrong. But I will stick to my guns forever if I think(or know) I'm right.

And to be fair, I did start off like this:

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

18. Suzieq1212

Suzieq1212 New Member

Hi my house was built lower than the water table like your planning to do, so I'm keen to find out how you got on with your project?
    I have a major problem with masses of water under my sub floor, even in dry spells. I have recently found out (after spending £1000s fitting a perimeter land drain) that my house is too low i.e my foundations are 800mm and the water table is approx 700 so water is always higher and it comes into my sub floor wherever it can! it's driving me nuts and my perimeter drain is always full even in dryer spells so dosent work without a sump pump at the end of if it?
    If you went ahead with your build how have you stopped the groundwater entering the house.

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Do you have a beam and block floor ?

20. Suzieq1212

Suzieq1212 New Member

We have a concrete base floor and then a subfloor about 700mm above it which always has quite a lot of water in it.