Water issue

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by zurgno1, Dec 8, 2016.

1. zurgno1

zurgno1 New Member

Hi folks just looking for advice

Moved in to this house about 3 years ago but been having problems with the walls inside extension and have just noticed that the downpipe on the extension never had a drain at least i cant see one i have dug around it but seems there was never one there

What would be the best advice now ? i would not mind collecting rain water in a water butt , but would i be better off gettin it to a drain there is one on the other side a bit away

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

No wonder u been having issues!

Aren't they supposed to lead to a soakway?

3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Yes you need somewhere for this water to go i.e. a soakaway. It might be possible to tie this into the mains drainage but I think this is frowned upon and perhaps not compliant with building regs. Surface water and sewerage should be kept separate.

zurgno1 likes this.
  4. Is it possible to alter the guttering to run to the other side and use that drain for the downpipe.

5. A wider shot of the hoosie showing where existing drains and downpipes are would help.

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

At least his deckings's the right way up.........o_O

Joe95 likes this.
  7. zurgno1

zurgno1 New Member

when u say a soakway would it be possible to have an overflow hose from the water butt and have an area about 3-4 ft away with a 1 foot hole of stones gravel etc, and have the hose going to this area ?

this is a terraced house and not all houses have a down pipe unfortunately

8. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

In really bad weather i think you would end up with a lake!

9. zurgno1

zurgno1 New Member

so what would u suggest ?

10. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

But is it spaced right? :D

11. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Water butt as a temporary solution and then a soak away or drain connection as a permenant solution. I.E get a water butt now and then work out what you want to do next.

You could have to contact the local water authority or local building control to find out if you can connect rainwater pipes to the main drainage. As it is often disallowed, I am lucky enough to have it allowed here.

12. How old is the extension?

13. zurgno1

zurgno1 New Member

its 36 years

14. zurgno1

zurgno1 New Member

Thanks joe,

ill get the Water Butt, how would u suggest i do the Soak away ?

Jord86 likes this.
  15. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Soakaway set as far away from the house as possible, depending on the ares of roof its taking and what sort of soil the ground is will determing the size of it.

But let's say a 20/25 M2 roof and good draining soil, then a soakaway of 1m3 will do.

This will need to be filled with clean stones/hard-core of half brick size, topped with plastic sheeting before covering with soil again.

As for a Waterbutt you can get an inline outlet that allows the rain to go to the butt until its full, it then allows the rain to drain away when full.

LS4787D_l.jpg

Joe95 and zurgno1 like this.
  16. zurgno1

zurgno1 New Member

Thanks Phil

the roof is about 10ft x8ft

17. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

You are really lucky the back end of the extension hasn't fallen off ( literally ). Yes you really must provide a soak-away or there a real danger that severe damage can be caused to the building.

18. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Check with local authority about the soakaway.

19. zurgno1

zurgno1 New Member

Hi guys well i got the water butt but there seems to be more water coming down the water pipe than in the Water Butt?
    do i need to seal it from the bottom pipe to the water Diverter, i had to lower it as water was not going through the water butt

20. zurgno1

zurgno1 New Member