Water leak patch on ceiling below en-suite bathroom

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by bond007, Apr 16, 2015.

1. bond007

bond007 Well-Known Member

Guys
    Wondering if you can help me try and identify where i could have a possible leak from.

I have noticed a small patch of water mark on a ceiling directly below the en-suite bathroom.
    Its hard to tell if the patch is damp or not as the overall ceiling is cold.Any suggestions to how i can find out its damp?

I have flushed the toilet to see if i can hear any dripping noise and run the shower too. Couldnt really hear tapping dripping noise anything when i had my ear against the ceiling.

How could i narrow down and eliminate where the leak is coming from?

I have attched the back wall picture of the bathroom whch is direct under the dining room where the patch is.

Any advice would be apprecaited.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Big problem with water is it has a habit of traveling to the lowest point. You may have a stain in one place but 9 times out of 10 it has come from nowhere near the final point of rest. Only real way is to lift up floorboards in your en suite, or cut out sections of the celing below. If you have household insurance it may be worth talking to your insurance company, dependant upon excess ETC

FatHands likes this.
  3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I had a stain once like that, it was the bath trap which got clogged with hairs.

Does the water after showering drain quickly away or does it take time to disperse?

4. bond007

I think i have managed to isolate where the leak seems to be coming from. Its from the corner of the shower tray towards the toliet. So when i am stood in the shower facing the wall where the shower bar is. Its to the bottom left of that corner. ( the tissues corner)

I sprayed water on all there points seperately and waited for a while to hear any dripping. Soon as i started spraying the bottom left corner, could start hearing the dripping on the floarbaord above ceiling.Was very clear and evident.

So now what are my options?..
    Do i just put extra sealent around the corner?.. I couldnt see any holes in the grouting in that corner.

5. bond007

It doesnt leak from teh main shower tray itself when water going down, its from the corner of the seal.

6. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

do not put more silicone over existing! Mechanically remove all existing silicone with a sharp blabe. put weight into tray and make sure there is not movement. if there is you need to cure that 1st. if all is good reseal with a good quality silicon sealant, jobs a goodun.

7. bond007

Out of curiosity, why shouldnt one put on silicone over existing one?
    once i take all the old silicone off, and i stand init. Should be able to tell if there is any movement?

I already put good quality sealent round it from first and even put the shower tray platic beading on.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I t may not be leaking from the silicone joint. it could be that the shower door seals are worn and require replacing, they only seem to last a couple of years. Only noticeable when someone is showering with the doors shut.

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

New silicone won't stick to old silicone as well as clean surfaces. You need a bigger bead, and need to sqeeze plenty into the gaps(not just make a small cover).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. bond007

Shower door seals?...the ones joining the tile walls you mean?

11. bond007

Funny thing its only started happening just now..been fine for years.just strange as i used all expensive gear at the time

12. bond007

IS THERE ANYTHING ON THE MARKET APART FROM THE CONVENTIONAL SILICONE THAT CAN APPLIED ROUND THE SHOWER EDGES TO STOP LEAKING?

13. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

FatHands likes this.
  14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Also worth checking that all grout is intact with no loose areas and small bits that have fallen out
    Water can get behind the tiles and run down the wall in this case

As above, cut out silicon (plenty of similar threads about this subject) but basically use sharp craft knife held tight against tiles, then shower tray. This will remove most of silicone. Silicone remover is good to remove any remaining bits, you really want the surfaces to be clean before you start again

http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-sealant-remover-100ml/88987

Good quality sili is a must, try this one, great price at the moment too

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dow-corni...rch-_-SearchRec-_-Area3&_requestid=175163#_=p

I'm just a dyer but I've commented on this subject previously and always recommend buying a sealant tool kit. Usually get shot down in flames and get told "just lick your finger and use that, that's we do" but, if you want a really neat job, carried out clean and tidy, then you cant beat these kits. Seems like a lot of money for 3 bits of plastic but once used, you will realise that its money well spent

http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsen...rch-_-SearchRec-_-Area2&_requestid=175773#_=p

I've got the Fugen Boy kit (SF used to sell this and I guess pretty much the same) Dipped into warm water with a squeeze of fairy in it, shake off excess and away you go. Makes using silicone a pleasure not a chore :)

15. Mr Handyman

Mr Handyman New Member

Most experienced bathroom installers know to fill a bath completely with water before siliconing the edges. This helps put the silicone under compression when the bath is empty and reduces the tension on the silicone when weight is in the bath. The same principle applies to shower trays which can deform or move downloads very slightly with the floor when you stand in them and eventually cause the silicone to detach. The problem is that few people have the patience to stand in a shower tray for the time it takes silicone to cure!
    Shower trays are a frequent source of hidden leaks, particularly between floors in flats.

16. bond007

The issue i have is intermittent, i have re sealed the shower tray from one of the corners where i suspected the water to be leaking from. However it still leaking through somehow as i can hear little droplets on the floor underneath.
    After i resealed it, for a few days they was no leaks.

Any other suggestions?

A friend of mine put the the following, states it doesn't look good cosmetically but it has done the job.-
    Flashband Bostik Flashband Evo-Stik Flashband & Primer Grey 3.75m x 100mm

http://www.screwfix.com/p/flashband...g - Building&gclid=CJL7k6_slcUCFSvJtAodn14A3g

17. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

You wont want to hear this but after you have tried a repair without renoving the tray which has failed your only guarenteed solution for a successful repair is to remove the screen and tray, clean it all up, make good the wall and refit the whole lot.
    Sorry but its the only guareneed way its going to get fixed.

BLUEJACKET and FatHands like this.
  18. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Got to say that this is the best way to do this, isn't really a major job.

19. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Regarding applying silicone, there used to be instructions on the tubes to clean surfaces with meths prior to using the silicone. I have always done this and never had a failure/leak (admittedly only on a small DIY scale with 2 properties).
    diymostthings

20. ivan20

ivan20 New Member

İ also have a few patches come through on my living room celeing above is an ensuite. I realy do not know how it's happening. What I need is someone to come and diagnose the problem and fix it etc etc. Also to re-paint the ceiling downstairs. I phoned a few plumbers and they ask me to find where it may be coming from. I say most probably the ensuite. I just want someone reliable to come and help sort it all out. Can anyone help