Water leaking from behind fascia onto outside of brickwork

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by ElSteveMc, Oct 24, 2013.

1. ElSteveMc

ElSteveMc New Member

Hi all

When it rains, water leaks down the outside of one corner of the exterior of our extension. It seems to be dripping from behind the white plastic fascia unit fitted to the wall, and the outside of the brickwork below this gets dripping wet almost down to the ground. Our builder (not the one who built the extension) suggested over the phone that we check to confirm that the roof felt is tucked into the gutter (as I believe it should be), and it is tucked into the gutter.

When we moved in earlier in the year the cement along one side of the extension between the roof tiles and the brickwork had come away, which our builder has sorted out for us.

Does anyone else have any suggestions where the water is likely to be coming from? No water is getting through to the plaster on the inside of the extension but obviously I want to get this sorted out before any damage is done. There is quite a bit of moss on the roof, can this cause problems.

Photos are attached showing the issue.

I really want to know if there's anything obvious I should check before I get the builder out to look at it properly.

Thanks!

Steve

Attached Files:

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

the facia looks slightly too long, I suspect you have rain tracking along the underside of the tiles into the facia, where it's pooling along it's length

pull the facia end cap off, perhaps all will be revealed

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Not making any argument, but it would be strange for the water not to come out anywhere else if it were running along!

I have arrowed two places in the pic below where I think it's most likely to be getting in. Seen it many times in box-ends.

That undercloak(what the cement sits on) should at least overlap the fascia/corner.

_DSC0537sml.jpg

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

that's a good zoom - but a really badly detailed roof

5. ElSteveMc

ElSteveMc New Member

Thanks both. I'll take a look behind the fascia at the weekend and if necessary see if our builder can tidy up/extend the undercloak somehow.

6. That fascia section looks as tho' it has a partial return or 'lip' on the inside/bottom edge where it contacts the wall? In which case any water that gets in anywhere along its length will travel along to the lowest point before escaping - and it does look as tho' it's escaping out from behind the end cap.

So, the water could be getting in pretty much anywhere on your roof, and getting under the felt before ending up inside that fascia. Most likely suspects for getting under felt is wherever there's flashing such as chimney stacks, gulleys, ridge tiles.

As said before - pull that end cap off and shine in a bright torch...

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Another theory for you......
    Rain is being blown off edge of roof, tracking under the edge of that last tile and dripping behind the plastic facia

4 inch angle grinder, thin blade, make a cut between last tile and the mortar bed
    Insert a piece of angle trim, aluminium or lead and glue in with a blob of mastic

As I say.....Just another theory

8. ElSteveMc

ElSteveMc New Member

Hi DIYDave

Your suggestion makes a lot of sense, the photo attached would seem to bear out what you're saying. I took the end of the fascia off and had a look behind. The inside of the fascia looked to be dry except for at the end where the water is dripping from.

The felt is a bit slack under the last tile too, so it's possible water could collect on the felt and run down where the felt ends into the back of the fascia unit.

I'm getting the builder in to look at it properly next week. Thanks all for the advice.

Attached Files:

9. beachbuggie1

beachbuggie1 New Member

You could get a tile end closers to stop the rain biulding up also water will travel to lowest point so you might be looking at the wrong end of the cappit . If you could put a picture of the who build left and right elevations. Is the cappit board just fixed to the roof trus as it looks like it is the wrong board ... jumbo board is used for fixing on straight on to the timbers