Water Softener Help Please

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by ChrisWilding, Apr 24, 2017.

1. ChrisWilding

ChrisWilding New Member

Afternoon.

Combi boiler and Water Softener has been in place for around 6 years without issue. Last week or 2 the mixer shower will lose pressure almost completely for no clear reason (no other water outlet being used). When it happened last night I by passed the water softener and the pressure shot up to the best it's been for months.

Clearly an issue with the softener, as it's intermittent I'm thinking this is only 1 of the 2 cylinders. I'm not entirely sure on the manufacturer, the sticker on the front simply says "Ultra Twin".

Any advice from experienced people on this please? Is it likely to be a blockage or the resin bed needs replacing? Would a few manual regens help (my next step tbh). Is the maintenance of these fairly simple? To be honest I cannot find any documentation online, but probably as that's because I don't know the manufacturer.

Problem has hit me at the worst time, low cashflow situation :-(, so any advice would be very gratefully received.

2. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

Think its a Harveys.

I wouldn't expect a manual regeneration to make much difference. I don't have, and can't find on the Internet, the installation instructions. However, it may well have a filter on the inlet, and if this were blocked it would cause the symptoms you describe.

3. ChrisWilding

ChrisWilding New Member

Thank you Andy for replying.

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I would turn off the incoming water completely and then take the various hoses off and check for obvious blockages. Then do the same with the valves used to control feed and bypass.

I had a quick search and the "Ultra Twin Water Softener" could be from Harveys.

5. ChrisWilding

ChrisWilding New Member

Thanks - it does seem to only be on one of the cylinders, not both, which made me think unlikely a blockage at inlet. I will however be checking this next!! Just hope it's not the Resin.