Water stains on planters - is this normal

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by LV0210, Apr 19, 2016.

1. LV0210

LV0210 Member

Hi,

I had some planters built for my patio garden about two months ago. Western red cedar was used for the cladding. An irrigation system has been set up to deliver water to each of the planters three times a week.

I recently noticed that I can see water marks on the planters, should this be happening? I don't quite understand because they were lined with DPM.

Appreciate your thoughts on this as the marks take away some of the beauty of the planters.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. LV0210

LV0210 Member

Oh, I wish I had known about these earlier. The plants are already in the planters.
    It was the gardener designer that specified everything for the job and the carpenter built them.
    When the gardener came back to plant I did notice that some of the duck tape were coming loose and said should I go and get some duck tape to seal it. He said it is not required because the weight of the soil will seal it. But of course, now thinking about it water can still get through.

Would it harm the wood? Is my recourse with the garden designer, carpenter or me? Just wondering what my options to fix this?

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As leaking / staining in the corners, looks like dpm was cut and joined at corners then taped, but not successfully

Has drainage been installed in the base ?

They look lovely and is the plan to let them weather naturally or to treat the wood with a stain or other method

Guess speak to the designer and check what material he specified and if there was any details as to how it should be installed. Then actually check that these details have been followed by the carpenter that I'm guessing installed the dpm

This will involve some digging and maybe removing some plants but you need to check for yourself before taking it further with the carpenter

If all installed as per designers spec, then guess it's an issue with the designer

The forum legal secretary, Da will no doubt advise and / or give advice shortly, no doubt ;)

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Your only the client,so no blame on you, neither would I expect you to know about anything about grp liners, the fault is with the garden designer, who should know about these grp liners.
    Your alway will have the staining now (discolouration), even when it dries out, as to harm the wood, will take years I suspect for it to rot.

EDIT: But, I wouldn't be happy about it, I suppose you could say there are not fit for purpose,as they leak.
    As already said, DA will be along shortly.

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Do these planters get wet when it rains? (probably) Wouldn't worry about it mate. The staining could be from when they've got wet from the weather. ;);)

7. LV0210

LV0210 Member

The planters do get wet when it rains because they are outside. The staining at definitely water marks because it has been dry for the past few days and they are still there.

The garden designer did not specify how the dpm liner needs to be installed just said to line the planters with DPM 1200ga. Each planter has a number of holes at the base to drain water. The Garden Designer recommended a carpenter to build them but his quote was very, very expensive. I was having my house renovated so I used the carpenter employed by the builder as his quote was more reasonable and he was doing other work around the house which was of a good standard.

Great, I will wait to hear from DA on how best to proceed with this.

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Out of interest, when I have made planters I line the inside all around with good overlaps using landscape fabric water proof side facing inwards and waterproof side downwards on base for drainage, to be totally honest I have never had a problem.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Totally different geotextile fabric to plastic sheet for waterproofing containers.

Plastic sheet will tend to funnel any water to one particular spot where there is a hole, tear, whereas geotextile, water will drain away over the whole area, rather than one spot.

10. LV0210

LV0210 Member

Sounds like the material that the Garden Designer specified to use was not suitable. Would it be costly to change at this point?

11. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Has the wood been treated, if not they will end up grey by the end of the year.
    You will get weather staining as mentioned above too, so you may need to live with the natural look.

12. LV0210

LV0210 Member

What is the best course of action to prevent further water staining and who do you think should pay for it to be rectified?

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I think you are stuffed on getting anyone else to pay for it.
    I can't think why anyone thought that cutting DPM and gaffer taping it was a good idea.
    I think your only option is to empty the planters and then either use the grp inserts or a DPM but fold it instead of cutting it.

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You may be able to remove the stains using WOOD BLEACH, I think Liberon sell it, then a couple of coats of Thompsons Water seal over the whole planter but I believe the inside will require re-thinking also with better drainage and some form of tanking.

15. Nice planters indeed. The carpenter seems to have done a good job of them.

I suspect it is as you, yourself, suspects - leakage from the soil inside. All the stains seem to originate from corners, so I guess that's where the joins are in the DPM, or perhaps where they got stretched and torn?

Anyhoo, I dunno.

If you want the stains to stop, then it seems pretty clear the plants and soil need to come out, and either a GRP liner as KIAB suggests, or else a much longer strip of DPM could be used which is neatly wrapped against the insides a number of turns - with no joints. Tricky to get neat, but not impossible.

(In fact, they could be wrapped around an external frame first - giving it a good 3 or 4 turns - before the end is then taped to secure. Slip it offski the ext frame, and drop it inside the planter?)

Anyhoo, as pointed out above, that cedar (lovely...) will naturally go silver probably within the year and will need treating if you want it to keep its colour (there are a number of products out there to do this - worth a Google, but OSMO looks as tho' they have what you'll need. I wouldn't use Thompson's Water Seal or stuff like that).

So, they need redoing to prevent any further water-staining from the inside, and then perhaps a good scrub-down followed by a coat of suitable treatment will balance it out.

In a couple of years, I suspect the stains will be nigh-on invisible.

Where do you stand 'legally'? On pretty loose soil, I suspect.

If the designer did not give precise & comprehensive instructions to the joiner on how to fully line and protect the inside, then the joiner was not to know any differently to what he did.

If the designer is tackled on this, expect him to blame the joiner...

Who is actually 'responsible'? I dunno. But I guess you haven't a chance of tackling the joiner on it - he did exactly what was asked of him. I guess the designer was partially negligent in not specifying the construction in enough detail, but what are the chances of him saying "If you'd gorn to the guy I recommended, there wouldn't have been a problem...?"

I suspect you'll have to take this one on the chin. You've had by far the largest part of the cost, so the rest to fix this is basically a bit of labour.

Annoying, no doubt, but look at the bigger picture of all the enjoyment you'll get out of it :).

Get some quotes for GRP housings, and see if it's affordable. Otherwise, plenty turns of DPM :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2016
  16. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Next time it rains get out there and have a good look. It seems to me that as the edges are all broad they will catch the rain and it will run off in at least one direction; thus gathering at one of the corners. Remaining wet for longer and the natural decaying process sets in sooner.

17. LV0210

LV0210 Member

Hi Chippie244 - other people's posting led me to believe that either the Garden Designer or the Carpenter should fix this. I've been waiting for the DA to comment.

18. Soz - I'm with Chippie with this one. It simply isn't clear cut enough I don't think.

Always the problem when you have two different peeps doing different parts of the job; you need to 'prove' one was somehow negligent. And I think you'll just end up with two cheesed-off peeps.

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  20. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Deleted member 33931 and KIAB like this.