Water-tight tile edging for shower shelf

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by EddieG, Aug 25, 2016.

1. EddieG

EddieG New Member

Apologies if this topic has been covered already, but couldn't find anything on it.

I'm tiling a bathroom and have a couple of recessed shelves on the wall next to the bath/shower, which will be tiled. I was planning to use metal tile edging on the edges of the shelves, as the porcelain tiles I have don't have glazed/nice edges. However, obviously want to make sure the shelves/edging is completely watertight and was wondering the best way to do it. Would you stick the edging strips on first and seal with silicon (particularly in the mitred corners) before the tiles go on? Or perhaps apply waterproof tape around all edges before anything else?

Will be tiling onto ply (the shelves/boxing are made from ply as well)

In addition, would you 100% recommend tanking around the bath prior to tiling (it's a bath with showerhead on wall)

Cheers

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Only DIY here but the tile edge is usually fixed in place using the tile adhesive as your tiling then grouted along with the tiles

Will make sense to silicone the corners as you can get slight cracks in the grout if any slight movement

As for the ply construction, well better than plaster board but surely, tile backer board would be even better still

As I say, only DIY :rolleyes:

3. EddieG

EddieG New Member

Cheers. Might just go for a mitred edge instead to keep it cleaner, and less parts to juggle with/potentially leak - just need to figure out the best way to cut a mitre in porcelain tiles, as have never tried before

4. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

If you want a mitred edge it's quite easy to just use a grinder with a diamond disc on it, (assuming your wet cutter doesn't do this). Leave a 1mm grout line on the edge.

I would always tank the shelf as well, with a slight fall for drainage, using the adhesive to create this. I often just tank straight onto a timber shelf (not best practice but works for me).

5. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Are the tiles porcelain or ceramic?
    You've mentioned both.