Waterproof Laminate flooring for kitchen ?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by dvddvd, Mar 30, 2005.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Hi all..need some laminate flooring for kitchen, wifes a bit handy with mop and saw a friends who knocked over a bucket of water (big bump in middle)and decided on the aqua flooring from B and Q, its like normal wood laminate but suitable for bathrooms etc, is there anywhere on line who does it cheaper in oak laminate......B and Q want £16.00 a mts

2. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

There isn't a true waterproof laminate flooring system on the market.

Gatt likes this.
  3. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Hi its the b and q Aqua stuff, supposed to be a bit more waterproof than the norm, any body used it ?

4. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I've used it in a couple of Bathrooms, big mistake!

The customer is always right......not when they're wrong!
    It swelled up when wet. Might be alright in a kitchen though, I hate the stuff as it looks cheap and nasty and is a fad. We'll look back at laminate in disgust in a few years time!

5. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

dvd

the wording on the aqua stuff paraphrases to "ever so slightly more waterproof than normal laminate" and normal laminate soaks water like a sponge.

have done both.

dvd if you must have it, kitchen maybe, bathroom do not buy it

ALL my quotes for laminate in kitchens and bathrooms have very clear caveats about the suitability of the products.

Gatt likes this.
  6. Boff

Boff New Member

Unless they've changed their stock recently B+Q don't sell a decent laminate.

7. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

poor / bad quality or not customers see it and the price and say, i want. many people want the look but cant/wont afford the price of the right job.

costs the same amount to put it down as more expensive laminate

8. Jason123

Jason123 New Member

dvd check out this link

http://www.flooringsupplies.co.uk/amtico.cfm

I thought on reading your post, that Ive seen laminate styled vinyl flooring, its changed alot, my memories of lino in my mums kitchen, with splits and curled corners, the stuff I saw was nearly 10mm thick. Have a look around there, they do everything, you get what you pay for remember

9. jasonb

jasonb New Member

I've fitted Floormaster 1600 & the newer Aqualock in both bathrooms & kitchens, never had a problem with it, some has been down for 5-6yrs.

If you look in the catalogue for the Aqualoc they sell a sealer that should be applied to the joints in areas where it is likely to get wet.

This one has been down for about 2yrs with two kids under 10yrs old http://photobucket.com/albums/v156/jasonballamy/Stanstead%20rd/?action=view&current=bath1.jpg

And this one in the same house for about 1yr http://photobucket.com/albums/v156/jasonballamy/Stanstead%20rd/?action=view&current=shower1.jpg

Jason

10. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

waterproof laminate, no such thing!

11. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Hi Jason, I bet you enjoyed fitting those external corners on the first pic! I did one recently with a high and low level protruding tile around two windows.......,loads of fun!

12. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Yep they are a real pain, especially if the tiles are Spanish as they tend to use a teracotta coloured clay!

The other thing that was more of a worry was that the bath feet are just held on with silicon!!!!

Jason

13. jenros

jenros New Member

hello,no such thing as "waterproof" laminate,had loads of customers asking to fit because the kid with the zits in bnq said so ,if you look closer you will read that its water resistant,not waterproof,the difference is if it was a very fine drizzle of rain out doors you would wear a light weight coat,if it was p***g down you`d wear a waterproof coat.

[Edited by: Forum Moderator]

14. Freddy88

Freddy88 New Member

Dont bother with B and Q aqua loc, its just a standard laminate with a parafin treated click system, if you get it wet it will still swell up and be affected by water.

If you want a laminate flooring which is 100% waterproof, try Aquastep or Dumafloor, these two are both 100% waterproof as they are made with 100% plastic, fantastic product, you can pour a bucket of water over your floor and it would not effect this laminate, its one of a kind. Even if your washing machine leaked, these floors would be unaffected, i bought some from www.flooring.uk.com take a look they have them exclusively. It is nothing like traditional HDF or MDF laminate.

15. Freddy88

Freddy88 New Member

Aqua step and Dumafloor are 100% waterproof no nonsense about being water resistant, no no no! these products are made entirely of plastic, strong and 100% waterproof, check them out at www.flooring.uk.com

16. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

Waterproof Laminate flooring for kitchen ?
    Posted: Mar 30, 2005 10:27 PM Reply

Hi all..need some laminate flooring for kitchen, wifes a bit handy with mop and saw a friends who knocked over a bucket of water (big bump in middle)and decided on the aqua flooring from B and Q, its like normal wood laminate but suitable for bathrooms etc, is there anywhere on line who does it cheaper in oak laminate......B and Q want £16.00 a mts

Freddy this thread is now 4 years and 11 months and 24 days old! i reckon he might have laid that floor by now
    :(

17. what2do

what2do New Member

Well spotted fly, note to freddy - how on earth did you come across this post, there must have thousands since it was first generated????

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you've got something to sell...

19. tommystaines

tommystaines New Member

Maybe Freddy88 was a bit late, but still he gave the best answer on this thread. Thanks Freddy

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You can't be accused of being premature :cool::cool: