Waterproof shed wall

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Gordon Fox, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Gordon Fox

Gordon Fox New Member

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice / point me towards a suitable product? The back wall of my shed (brick construction and some of the inside has a thin concrete covering) acts as a retaining wall to my garden. I get groundwater , approx. 1m below the garden ground level (so mid way up the shed wall), coming into the shed. I've tried digging out the back of the shed and putting in a drain and impermeable membrane to catch the water before it gets to the brick, but this hasn't worked with our recent weather.

Can you recommend any products that might be suitable to be applied to the inside face of the brick / concrete that would seal it and prevent water ingress?

I'm not too bothered about the finished colour of the product - only constraint is it would need to be applied to the inside of the wall.

Thanks very much in advance, hope someone can help!

2. If you apply it to the inside face, the water will just find its way round it - to either side.

The external option that you have already adopted is the correct option, you may not have installed the membrane low enough or used the correct detail.

3. As CPM says - and as I'm sure you know yourself - stopping it coming through in the first place is obviously the best solution.

Having said that, your situation isn't all that different from what builders have to cope with in basements, etc. So you can get some very effective tanking products these days for this. The best, I understand, are cement-based tanking slurries - try a surf for this.

Just how much water is coming through? Is it damp, or is it actual 'water'? And does this water come through all over or are there localised points where they come through - between the bricks for example?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You need to dig out behind down to below the foundation, & lay a land drainage piping & cover with some geotexile & shingle, also you need to tank the back of the wall.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

This is what your trying to acheive, adding the angled fillet allows water to run off instead of pooling & maybe getting through base of wall.
    Give the soil side of the wall two coats of a Liquid Damp Proof Membrane.
    I forgot to add the geotextile covering shingle.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

7. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Sikalastic 1K, preferably to the wet side. If you can't excavate behind, apply to inner face. 2 coats. There are videos on youtube showing its application