Waterproof stair laminate

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by RB625, Aug 24, 2015.

1. RB625

RB625 New Member

hello would really appreciate suggestions to solve my staircase problems. I foster rescue cats who sometimes are so scared they urinate in inappropriate places. My main problem at the moment is that one has peed on the stair half landing. I have taken up the carpet and underlay from that landing and it smells terrible. Some questions - will I need to replace the board on the landing ie will the smell of pee have filtered right through it so it will come through any new flooring? What can anyone suggest I could use to replace the carpet? I looked at waterproof laminate such as Aquastep - would that be waterproof round the skirting and would it be better to fit it under the skirting boards? Or does anyone know anything cheaper but as effectively waterproof I could use as it is a three storey house with four short flights of stairs and three landings plus the hall to cover? Also the banisters are extremely wobbly a friend fixed the top section when it suddenly all swung out over the stairwell one day, but I am unsure if the staircase was not built very well when the house was built eleven years ago or whether it is that I put a lot of pressure on the banisters as I am disabled and struggle walking up and down so put a lot of weight on the handrail. Any suggestions how to make that sturdier? I did wonder if it would work out cheaper to replace the stAircase and varnish the new one to wAterproof it. Think that would be really expensive and I would rather spend my money on rescuing dogs and cats, but I don't want to live in a smelly house! Is it better to get a joiner to do the whole job or get a carpet fitter to fit the stair laminate? Sorry for the long post, any positive suggestions would really be appreciated.

2. A few separate issues here.

Can you remove the smell from the actual floorboards? Surely 'yes' is the answer, tho' I'm not sure what the solution (literally) is. But there MUST be products out there for precisely this job? Have a surf on-line and read the reviews of various products.

Compare products that mask the smells (ie - they smell strong themselves) and those that claim to 'neutralise' them (I've no idea if or how they work, but I have seen them.)

How to 'waterproof' the landing? I guess the cheapest and simplest will be vinyl flooring sheet, taken right up to the skirtings and then sealed against them with a bead of sealant. (Unless vinyl flooring needs an expansion gap? I dunno.)

There are plenty of colour options in vinyl including 'wood planks', so it doesn't have to look out of place.

Chose one that doesn't become slippery if wet - 'cos it looks as tho' your cats might make them, er, wet in future.

Not sure about the stair steps, tho', as these will need to be properly grippy as you can imagine. Aren't there any products you can spray on these areas to discourage the cats from doing their business on there?

But, possibly the simplest and cheapest solution is to remove all the carpet from the stairs, have them painted instead, and then have 'security strips' stuck on them especially near the front edge, but also on the tread itself (perhaps three strips in total?) to make sure they remain safe in use. This shouldn't cost too much, especially if you aren't too fussed about just how neat a paint job it is.

Ie - if the painter has to spend days scraping off old paint, adhesive, whatever and then fill in multiple holes before sanding and painting, then it could work out costly. But if he can get away with a 'going-over' with coarse-grit paper (80 grit, for example) before applying a thick coat of primer and a couple of coats of top, then that shouldn't be too bad at all. Especially if you use a general 'handyman' for all the jobs, rather than a pro decorator.

Fixing the stair newel post/bannister - this is a chippy's job (or a good 'handyman') and I'd suggest it's pretty urgent...

A good handyman will be able to do all these tasks, but he/she would have to be good. Putting down flooring is not for the faint-hearted, and fixing newel posts (the 'main' posts at the tops and bottoms of each run of stairs) or bannisters needs to be done securely by someone who can be relied on to do a good job.

As you suspect, replacing the staircases would cost a lot. Probably £housands, I'm afraid. But I can't see why you'd have to do this - your current staircase is surely sortable?

Look through your local papers and call out a few handypeeps. Listen to what they say - do they understand the issues involved and are they coming up with good solutions to them? You can always come back on here and discuss what they've said and perhaps we can advise further.

I feel I should add that some tradespeeps would rather not have to deal with issues to do with dog and cat, er, issues, so perhaps be upfront when they come in and say "Look, I know some people simply won't want to do this - and I'll understand - so please just say right away!"

Good luck with it. But please look after yourself first - and sort that staircase (and have the rest checked out too...)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2015
  3. RB625

RB625 New Member

Thank you very much for your reply. You have given me some pointers to research further!

4. 'Welcome.

Let us know how you get on :)