Waterproofing external mitre joints

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mr moose, Jul 4, 2015.

1. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Hi folks,
    I got that job refurbing the window lantern ( see post and pics: Window lantern louvered panels to be changed - building control?)
    I have another problem I have come across, and that is due to the massive expansion/contraction forces on the mitred sill joints of the lantern (3x2 sill on 6'x 6' lantern), I don't think just filling them with epoxy resin is going to work.

On a previous job I tried filling with a flexible sealant and noticed after a few days the sealant had pulled open. I ended up just smothering the whole joint in a thick layer of sealant, but it does not look very pretty and am looking for a better solution on this job.
    Has anyone else found a neat solution?

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Windowcare.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

yeah, spot on, brill product!

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I would have thought that it would be more important to get a good mechanical fixing!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I would have to agree Handy, sounds like a job for Kreg pocket screws and PU glue

6. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

I had a look at the original posting and the photo. A decaying structure that will need a reasonable go at to accomplish anything worthwhile. Also that appears not to be easily maintainable from the inside.

Doing the old sashes I often come across some reasonably good fixes on exterior sills. A lot of fellows were putting sheet metal over the sills. Tin, zinc galvanised steel etc. These have held out for decades with consistent painting over and done a good job. So I would imagine they got a section of sill and battered the sheet metal to fit the shape and then cut it to fit the window size.

All the other timber products won't work well if there is any water about the joint. So its a case of cutting back to dry and solid timber, splicing in new sections with either pu or the windowcare. But then that might mean reworking the glass.

If its single glazing it will always create condensation on the inside,which will lead to decay in time.

7. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Thanks folks, not sure what Windowcare is, is it a sealant Chippie? I sounds like good stuff.
    Interesting that idea about the sheet metal dwlondon, Now that I have scraped most of the paint off and had a bit of a hack at it:D you can see the extent of the rot (see latest pics). Though this is the worst side I have really got my work cut out.I will be replacing a lot of sections of sill and rail.
    Interestingly on closer inspection the mitres are mitred half lap joints giving a lot more strength to the mitre so will be going with that when I repair and replace,but still considering a sealant on top or set in as well as Repaircare epoxy of course;)
    Also I am extending out the sill all the way round .
    Lantern 5.jpg Lantern 4.jpg

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Oh dear. Yes you have got your work cut out!

I'm inclined to think of rebuilding from scratch!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Umm yes, bit late for that now though.:oops: Ah well, where angels fear to tread.

10. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

It seems like Windowcare is another brand name of Repaircare which also do dry seal sealant which is what I am am about to use for puttying the windows:). Ho hum answering my own questions again!:rolleyes:

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Let us know how you get on MM. Might need some good long term 'filler' to do a repair to a sash sill which is difficult to remove due to its location.