Wax over Varnish

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by JackOrc, Feb 18, 2009.

1. JackOrc

JackOrc New Member

Hi guys,

Bit of advice needed!

I've been stripping paint off the stairs (Handrail/Spindles), I've managed to take the paint off, however there is still some really old dark varnish underneath.

I want to go over this with a lighter coat of wax/varnish. Can I just put it on top, or do I use some sort of undercoat?

Many thanks!

2. potty painter

potty painter New Member

Undercoat, no! You will have to remove the stain before your application can continue. Firstly, what did you use to remove the old paintwork with, and what do you intend to apply.

3. JackOrc

JackOrc New Member

I used hot air to strip the paint. Unfortunately it won't do the same to the stain.

I would like to apply this in Beech.

http://www.ronseal.co.uk/products/product.jsp?id=38

How do you think I should go about it. The current stain is like a deep mahogany.

4. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

You have to strip the original stuff off with Nitromors paint stripper, before attempting any colour change.

5. JackOrc

JackOrc New Member

Right OK I'll use that paint stripper.

One more question, whilst stripping the paint off some of the architrave or whatever it is, some of it's not wood.
    This is where the stair turns and when I tried stripping the paint off with the hot air, a load of black sticky stuff came out. I think is something for awkward corners.

What is this?

6. potty painter

potty painter New Member

Jack, whatever it is you are going to have to remove it. another thing to remember here, is any holes, splits, or cracks. Will have to be filled, I would use Brummer stopper/filler. Choose one that will match your wax.

Potty.

7. JackOrc

JackOrc New Member

The chemical paint stripper was a waste. It hasn't made much difference at all. The dark stain is still there.

I'm thinking that the only other way to get rid of it, is by using sand paper. Or can I try something else.

Someone told me not to use undercoat, does this mean that whenever your applying wax/varnish it has to be done over bare wood. It cannot be done over a undercoat/primer?

8. potty painter

potty painter New Member

No undercoat!!!! you cannot apply a stain, varnish, or wax, to any PAINTED SURFACE: If it was nitromors that you used, as good as it is, you will always have some form of residue left behind. you have to sand, to remove it. The product of your choice needs the natural beauty of the wood for it's base.

Potty.

9. apl

apl Member

when i worked on site we used to put oil based brown undercoat on grained exterior doors, and then top coat with a coat of oil based stain. We used different coloured bases for different coloured top coats. We also used to undercoat damaged stained door frames too and then top coat with stain. Not the ideal way of doing things i'll admit, but it did the job.
    I've also used ochre and brown undercoat on soffitts and facias and then topcoated with stain, ochre is especially useful to achieve a lighter colour than whats already on.
    The same process could be done here as a last resort. The undercoat obliterates the beauty of the wood but its another way to get a lighter finish

10. potty painter

potty painter New Member

Apl, I see your point, but going to the trouble to remove the existing paint work. And then loose the desired effect, seems pointless.

Potty.

11. JackOrc

JackOrc New Member

I actually used a cheaper chemical stripper that I had left over from before. Is Nitromors any better then the cheap stuff, or pretty much the same?

12. potty painter

potty painter New Member

nitromors, nitromors, and nitromors. Can't in my opinion get a better one.
    Last post i'm tired!

Potty.

13. jcts

jcts Active Member

if nitromors doesn't shift it, try wirewool and meths. oh and a lot of elbow grease

14. JackOrc

JackOrc New Member

This Nitromors stuff is absolutely amazing.

I've tried it on a few of the spindles and it's took all the stain off and given it a nice smooth finish.

Nice recommendation guys!

The only downside is that 500ml, is enough for only about 15 spindles, I've still go another 70 odd to go, so it's going to be expensive!

What's the cheapest place to get this stuff?

What's the difference between the Varnish & Lacquer Remover (Brown tin) and the Master Craftsman approved one, in the yellow tin?

15. apl

apl Member

Jack, only ever used the all purpose stripper myself. The trade centre i buy it from sell 5 litres for £23. They got branches in Bristol, Birmingham, Leeds and Manchester. Good luck with the rest of the spindles