"We hate shower waste pumps". I know!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by ianrob, Feb 24, 2017.

1. ianrob

ianrob New Member

Hi. Converting downstairs loo to an ensuite with quadrant shower in corner. Soil pipe at level of wc pan outlet(see photo attached). Absolutlely no other access (& we have tried) to soil pipe. Therefore, shower waste has to travel (8 feet only) from shower to soil pipe. Therefore, my plumber says - 2 choices: 1. Have the shower with a high step (8/9 inches) to allow for fall, or 2. Pump the waste the short distance to the soil pipe. A high step into the shower isnt an option. Therefore, hold onto your hats - a shower pump (there, I've said it!). Plumbers all over the country will now have a seizure. Not ideal, but the only option? Make? Model? Macerator? (not needed for wc).
    DSC_0483.JPG

2. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Well if you are sure you have no option and want the low look shower tray then there are Whale. AKW, Impey pumps which some consider to be noisy and are all basically copies or rebranded, then you have the Sanifloor, Traymatic Interior & Exterior (NB Sanimatic was a disaster and discontinued) and the Stuart Turner version from their Wasteflo range.

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Just a case of digging really...soil pipe has to go down into the ground so dig it out...put a tee on, length of 110 then convert to 40 or better still 50mm. Cheaper and better than adding a pump.

May seem like hassle now...but just wait till it doesn't break down :)

KIAB likes this.
  4. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

What about one of these from our hosts (or elsewhere)
    The outlet can connect parallel to the flow, not perfect but not such a high step and better than a pump......

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Do it properly.

6. ianrob

ianrob New Member

Thanks for that.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's the way I would do it:),definitely 50mm will cope with the largest shower flow.

CGN likes this.
  8. Mr Milliamp

Mr Milliamp Member

The whale gulpers are ok when installed in 22mm pipe and fitted correctly so you can access it dismantle it to service every couple of years.

9. jckm2000

jckm2000 New Member

Looks like Saniflo have discontinued the Sanifloor as well now. A right bloody pain as I was planning to fit one in my basement shower room as I've only got 2000mm from floor to ceiling so can't raise the tray.

I fitted a Whale Gulper in our narrow boat which worked a treat but we had to switch it on manually before hoping in the shower.

Ok in a boat but a bit of a drag in a house. Still, you can fit them up the wall because they're self priming so easy to maintain. Keep to the KISS principal.

Perhaps I'll make a sump an stick in a WaterWitch sensor ;)

10. just pumps

Use the Whale with the automatic sensor, however you are limited as to how high they will pump and there is a short run on time, oh they are noisy but you already know that.
    Good points are you can diy repair and parts are easily available.

11. jckm2000

jckm2000 New Member

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    just pumps likes this.
  12. jckm2000

jckm2000 New Member

In fact, to avoid any kind of sump to take a float/sensor (don't really want anything breakable under the floor if I can help it) I might try a flow switch in the cold water supply pipe to the electric shower unit. Would need a delay timer too but it could be fitted in the floorspace above.

Always got to think about maintenance access ;)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/uk.rs-online.com/mobile/amp/p/flow-controllers/3389823/

13. just pumps

With the other pumps there is no need to remove the floor so I guess you didn’t read the specs.
    You are only doing a diy copy.

14. jckm2000

jckm2000 New Member

Yes, indeed now I know. It's been a pretty circuitous route.

I've been Googling alternatives to the Sanifloor for a while, mainly looking for summat cheaper, a shower pump that can be fitted above the gulley but came up with nothing. It was only last night when I searched "Whale Gulper Flow Switch' that I came across their system!

There are still issues though as I would have to fit the flow switch horizontally under a floorboard and they need access for filter cleaning.

As I'm in a basement the waste needs pumping up 2.5m and the Whale won't do that so it'll have to go through the toilet macerator which negates any benefits of 'quiet operation'.

I should have bought the Mira Advance instead of the Sport Max and gone wireless, doh!

Think I'll buy a bungalow next time! ;)

15. just pumps

Flow switch under the floor- Why?
    Nothing under the floor except the waste exit pipe then you say need 2.5m lift whist you already have a macerator not far away?

Maybe look at one of the Sanishowers.

16. jckm2000

jckm2000 New Member

In the timber floor space (ground floor)above the electric shower (basement)

Looks like I've sourced a Sanifloor afterall.

;)

17. just pumps

[QUOTE="jckm2000, post: 1775424, member

Looks like I've sourced a Sanifloor afterall.

;)[/QUOTE]
    Hope it is heavily discounted. ;)

18. jckm2000

jckm2000 New Member

You'd hope so wouldn't you but....

Prices vary wildly. Initially I ordered from PlumbPal for £330 but they refunded my card and said it was discontinued. I managed to get one from PlumbNation for £370. Some places want the best part of £600!

Chocolate teapots fetch quite a price these days!