Weight on first floor

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jimbo0o, Apr 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jimbo0o

Jimbo0o New Member

Hi,

I am not sure if there is an easy answer to this, so here goes.

We have bought a new house and my other half runs a small business from home embroidering baby items. She has 2 machines which weigh 78kg each. We were hoping to have them on the first floor, but a little worried about the weight on the floor.

The span of the joists they will be on are 3.6m at 600mm centres using 22mm chipboard as flooring. The first 2 joists which are under where we were hoping to put them are that span, then next one spans 5.8m.

Are we fine, or do I need to speak to someone about it before we attempt to put them up there.

Many thanks,

Jamie

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

My mum has a Brother industrial sewing machine. Must weigh about the same if not more with the stand.

Can be a bit noisy, it has a clutch motor.

3. Jimbo0o

Jimbo0o New Member

She had a Brother, but upgraded to faster machines. I think the Brother weighed about 45kg, but only had 1. Now got 2 @ 78kg each.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I would say its about 80kg, combined with the stand and induction/clutch motor.

Should be perfectly fine.

Its the same model as this, got it free from a friend, had to buy a few things. Must be older than me, but precision engineering.

[​IMG]

5. Jimbo0o

Jimbo0o New Member

How things have changed over time :)

[​IMG]

6. JIMBO! RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

78kg is around 12.5 stone - the weight of the average adult male human being (wot ain't chubby at least).

So you gotta ask yourself - do you feel lucky? Could your upstairs floor cope with having two groan-ups standing there at the same time? Well, could it? Could it, pun... embroiderer?

Er, the answer is 'yes'...

Jimbo0o likes this.
  7. You know the span of the floor joists and their spacing - do you know their actual size?

It really shouldn't be an issue at all - as I said, it's chust like having two adults in the a room - but if you have the floor up for any reason, you might want to take the opportunity to add a further joists where each machine will be - chust to cut down on vibes and stuff.

But it ain't necessary at all.

And obviously having the machines closer to the walls will make them less shaky too - nearer the ends of the joists.

If they are noisy like Jit says, then you could consider laying a sheet of fibre insulation or similar, with perhaps a layer of ply on top. You can get a nice fibre sheet underlay for laminate flooring - it's probably only around 8mm thick - with a layer of 12mm MDF or ply on top - that should provide a nice base for the machines.

What'cha think, Jit? Worth doing?

8. They are cutting corners more and more on these new build Wendy Houses,If they are now putting in floor joists at 2 foot centres.
    The 5.8 metre span must be a steel or a hefty piece of timber.

KIAB likes this.
  9. If it's a new new house, then it's probably 'composite' joists (or whatever they are called). 'I'-beam shaped, a wee flat rail top and bottom, with what looks like a Sterling-board vertical panel in t'middle. They look well thin, but seem to be really sturdy.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Engineered I joist or Easi joist usually today.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  11. Jimbo0o

Jimbo0o New Member

Yes, they are the I-beams as you have said. The machines will be next to outside wall, so the surely the strongest part of the floor. I didn't expect it to be an issue, but thought it was worth an ask as I don't want £20k worth of machine coming through the ceiling and landing in the kitchen sink. ;)

Thanks for you help guys.

12. That's the babies :)

13. Cool. As you say, against the outer wall is the best place. But, really, not an issue anywhere.

Sis has a 7-year old hoosie with that type of joist - it's as solid as a solid thing upstairs. Far less 'shake' when ye jump up and down that in most traditional builds.

Jimbo0o likes this.
  14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Newer models look like they have servo motors, and seem to be quieter - not used on of those. I think servo motors can be purchased to install as well.

I don't mind the noise, but it can transfer through the floor.

The motor is induction, so stops after a few minutes.

Not used continuously so isn't too much of a problem.

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Anyone ever fitted a servo motor to one of these? ta

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Was reading up on Brother sewing machines & servo motors & digital speed contol, for a idea to use one for a watchmakers small lathe.
    Had a look on Ebay for Brother Energy Saving Servo Motor, look at item number 181909403837 & 381613798826

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Might look into this, the motor is clutch motor at present. Similar to a car clutch I would imagine.

May get round to checking the disc for wear. Probably never been replaced from new.

18. I wonder if Jimbo's house is detached?

From what Jit says, I can imagine that kind of thrumming noise coming through the building could be pretty hard for neighbs to take... :(