Weighty question...

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by BlackCountryLad, Jun 1, 2015.

1. BlackCountryLad

BlackCountryLad New Member

Hi,

I have a cast slipper bath (weighs an absolute ton) to go into the remodelled bathroom. I've got ply and Hardiebacker500 to go under the tiles and the joists have been cross-braced, so I think I'm good-to-go, except for one question...

I'm looking at having stone tiles on the floor. If they are set into the adhesive properly is there much likelihood of them cracking under the weight of the four legs on which the bath stands (allowing for water and my fat ar5e in the bath)? I know that this is dependent on the stone thickness, but if there is an equal spread of adhesive and the tile is bedded in properly, is there much chance of the tiles cracking, i.e. is it just a 'fact of life' that they will under point pressure?

Any help/info/ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Fat Bloke

2. If the tiles are sitting on an even bed of adhesive, then they will surely be ok from a pressure-point pov.

But, if the floor flexes that could be a different matter.

BlackCountryLad likes this.
  3. BlackCountryLad

Thanks Devil's Advocate. I've put down some decent ply on top of joists which are cross-braced (they look like the top of a waffle now!) and will be adding 12.5m Hardiebacker. I'll be honest, I'm now considering options for strengthening the floor in that area to stiffen it. Not sure how, but at least it has got me thinking...

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Have you thought of having some decorative hardwood foot plinths made up(or make yourself) to stand the legs on (spread the weight a tad and also soften the contact) ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

BlackCountryLad and FatHands like this.
  5. BlackCountryLad

I hadn't... If it spreads the load and makes my missus feel like she's a princess getting into her elevated bath it might work wonders (in many ways!) Thanks HandyAndy!