Weird bubbles / chemical reaction forming underneath new paint job?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Jim Regan, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Jim Regan

Jim Regan New Member

I recently had my bedroom painted, but recently have been getting some huge distortions in my paint job, with what appears to be water bubbles underneath (that have in several areas had some kind of bubbly chemical reaction that are turning yellow) on the outside wall. I can't find any actual water leaks or anything else, but it keeps getting just a little worse every week. Do I simply scrape off the paint and reapply, or do i have some sort of structural damage? Adding photos for reference.

IMG_2060.JPG

IMG_2061.JPG

2. Jim Regan

Jim Regan New Member

Also to add -- It is surrounding a window that is particularly old, I had leak concerns in the past and had noticed moisture on the windowsill after a rain, but was never able to find any actual leak or anything in the wall to suggest water... but it keeps getting just a little worse every week

3. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Efflorescence

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Water can take some very strange routes from A to B.

Got a photo of outside window area, any guttering on this wall.

5. Jim Regan

Jim Regan New Member

I do not have pictures of the outside area, but will try to do that and reply -- It is a brick exterior

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You have water getting in somewhere, failed pointing,or top of window frame most likely allowing water in, which is making wall wet & bringing out the salts in the masonry,plaster.

7. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Salts drawn through the brick work via penetrating damp I'd say.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek:

Great minds think alike...:)

9. Jim Regan

Jim Regan New Member

Interesting -- how would that be fixed? Do I need to bring in a contractor to replace the brick work or something? Can I just strip the paint and apply some kind of solution layer before a new coat to seal it up?

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The window is most likely the cause, any frame sealant missing allowing in water, could even be poor pointing higher up the wall allowing in water which is then finding way down to the inside wall.
    Post a photo of window, & area around it, we might spot something.:)

Pointless treating the inside wall until you have found the cause.

koolpc likes this.