wet joists on ground floor of Victorian house

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by BUNGO1, Sep 7, 2009.

  1. BUNGO1

    BUNGO1 New Member

    There was been a pin hole leak just above floor level from a basin's concealed hot water feed pipe for a year since the plumbing was done and the dampness above floor level has just revealed itself.

    The original old joists closest to this leak seemed to be very wet. A drying out process is now going on using de-humidifiers and driers.

    Regardless of this drying out process am I right to assume that mould spores will live on and that these wet joists will eventually rot causing dry rot to set in?

    I would welcome good advice on the best action to take next before the floor covering goes back and the room is re-decorated.

    Martin
  2. JarraMag

    JarraMag New Member

    How drastic is the damp? Personally I would seriously consider renewing anything damaged or affected by the damp. Rather than trying to clean it up.
  3. alpineskier

    alpineskier New Member

    I am not certain but I believe that mould requires dampness, so if you dry it out, then you kill it.

    Mould is in any case a surface "product" and can be killed with bleach, believe you are thinking of rot which requires lots of wetness.
  4. hallbeck

    hallbeck New Member

    Don't worry about it. So long as no decay has already occured it will be fine
  5. JarraMag

    JarraMag New Member

    But this has been going on for a year!
  6. bigjules

    bigjules New Member

    Ensure that the underfloor void is vented, eg airbricks not blocked or covered etc,this will promote effective drying out.
  7. hallbeck

    hallbeck New Member

    But this has been going on for a year!

    Doesn't mean that theres any decay though!

Share This Page