Wet marks on wall where UPVC windows join

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Claire79, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Claire79

Claire79 New Member

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can advise on this? Had UPVC windows fitted 18 months ago and where they meet the wall in our bay window there are wet marks on the wall which are not drying out.

The fitters have been back a couple of times - resealed inside and out, pumped silicone into wall. They say it is not a big problem and fairly common. Is this right? Am I overly worrying to have wet marks on the wall? Would really like to get this resolved but fitters say there is nothing more they can do. Any advice would be welcomed!

2. I'm guessing these damp patches are on the inside of the house? Any chance of photos?

3. Claire79

Claire79 New Member

Hi, yes, on the inside. A couple of pics attached.

Attached Files:

4. rd1

rd1 Member

Hi Claire,
    having damp spots like that is not right, can you take any pics of the outside and in particular the top of the window frames which might help identify the problems.

5. Claire79

Claire79 New Member

Just been out to take some pictures and can see myself where they've resealed with clear gel and there are still some gaps! Picture from the top also shows a crack but we don't seem to have water coming in at the top, just the sides. Forgot to mention, last time the fitters came out (have been out twice about this) they said to paint the exterior brickwork with Thompsons Water Seal - would that help?

Attached Files:

6. Hopefully some experts can help you here. There is clearly something amiss, but I have no idea what.

I'm not even sure if windows rely on this sealant bead to prevent water getting through to the inside skin - surely there should be a cavity gap to prevent that even without sealant?

What type of windows did you have previously? And there was no water ingress whatsoever?

For the fitters to claim it ain't a bug problem and it is fairly common is nuts, and that's my main worry - they ain't taking it seriously.

Is that a cavity wall? I wonder if something is bridging it that shouldn't be?

Personally, I think I'd be worried if they managed to make it stop just by adding more sealant. I think I'd like the real cause found and sorted.

But I'm not knowledgeable on window installs.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Seems it may be coming in at or near the top, and tracking across running down the inside of the trim.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. First of all is it a cavity wall or a solid wall secondly i couldnt see any sort of sealant along the top of the window externally just looked like a gap

9. Claire79

Claire79 New Member

Thanks all for your comments.

I'm not sure how to tell if it is a cavity wall or not?

10. How old is the property?

Anyways, regardless of that, the window shouldn't be letting water by.

Of course, it's chust about possible that the water is coming in somewhere else, and only finding its way to the inside along the window join. But not so likely.

Anyways, what type of windows did you have previously? And was there any water ingress whatsoever with these?

11. Claire79

Claire79 New Member

The house is 1930s. Previous windows were aluminium frame double glazing, approx 20 years old - no ingress of water.

12. rd1

rd1 Member

HiClaire
    This must be a sealant problem, and as said above it is possible that the gaps you have identified at the top are allowing the water to enter externally onto the top rail and and run along and down the sides. The other option is that the sealant on the sides has some gaps but unless they are at the top it is unlikely to have made the upper part of the window reveal damp as I think you show, which therefore points to the top being the problem.

Regarding the Thompsons, this appears to me to be the fitters passing the problem off as porous brickwork, which is difficult to accept if it was not a problem before.
    if it was me I would be going back to the company and asking one of the managers/surveyors to come out and see the damp and the poor beading. Perhaps the window needs to come out and be refitted.

13. Claire79

Claire79 New Member

Thanks all for your comments, it's good to hear some other opinions on this and to know that I'm right to be concerned by the damp patches. Time for me to go back and speak to the fitters again.

14. Keep us posted as to how they respond.

Good luck.

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You didn't have damp patches before they fitted the windows and now you do, damp patches aren't normal or common so they have to sort it out.

16. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Yes, and taking that piece of trim off(allowing the fitters to do this) may reveal more about the problem.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

17. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You only need a tiny gap for water to get in and it can easily track as Handy has said. Double check to make sure silicone is properly applied. Also check that you haven't got a gap around that tv ariel cable!

18. Claire79

Claire79 New Member

**UPDATE**

Fitters have been back and resealed all around the top of the frame, as per the gaps in the photos. He also painted some water seal on the brick work. The render on the bay above the window is coming away and mossyso tthey have advised getting a builder to fit a lip around the edge for water to run away and patch and seal the render to see if that helps. Hopefully we are getting somewhere in resolving this!