Wet room lighting

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Horatio, May 17, 2015.

1. Horatio

Horatio New Member

Im going around in circles with trying to find a suitable light for my new wet room.

I have a very small wet room in an L shape (as per drawing attached) and due to tanking the room I can only fix a light above the door (which is the only stud wall).

I need a light that will point in one direction to the shower area and another to the toilet, thus a gang of 2 or 3 spotlights is what I am looking for (one is not enough unfortunately).

The shower has a fixed head and also and handset on a hose. Because of the handset I believe this is classified as a bathroom Zone 1 area. The issue I am having is if I need an IP44 or IP65 light? Some places i read says "because there is a risk of water jets, including direct contact from a shower hose for cleaning purposes" that I need an IP65 light...... and others say various other things such as the measurements are taken form the fixed shower head (which is still within 1.2m in my case).

The issue here is that the only IP65 spotlights lights I can find are a single outdoor spotlights (e.g. Saxby Odyssey outdoor spotlight) and I will then need to fix 2 of them right next to each other which isn't exactly aesthetically what I want.

I want to do the safe option obviously, but don't want to "gold plate" it because I'm unclear exactly what the regulation requires here.

Attached Files:

2. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

I'm unclear exactly what the regulation requires here.

A registered electrician will be able to install to these requirements, let him do the job is my advice

Horatio likes this.
  3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I would recommend a recessed LED spotlight. There are several makes on the market but I use JCC6. They are IP65 and fire-rated too. http://www.jcc.co.uk/product-category/fire-rated-downlights/

These give you the flexibility to install the light where you need it. Two may be sufficient in your case.

Horatio likes this.
  4. Horatio

Horatio New Member

Thanks Sparky Si-Fi and Unphased. My electrician does recommend IP65 as well but appreciates there is contradictory information with some advertising and also unclarity in the regulation. Unfortunately the JCC light won't work as i need to be able to angle the lights to the two different spots in the bathroom (its a very odd space) and the only IP65 lights i can find are the out door ones.

If i can't get clarity in the regulation then I know the safest way to go is IP65 lights..... so its looking like the Saxby Odyssey outdoor lights might be the only way to go here :(

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Just google 'IP65 eyeball downlight'

6. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Horatio I am puzzled by the need to angle them. These spotlights will give sufficient spread of light to the entire space. They aren't spot lights in the old way they are more downlighters. I am sure the JCC6 would do the job, cool white would be best IMHO.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member