Wet Room Shower Drain

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Sparkyman, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Sparkyman

Sparkyman New Member

Hi,

Does anyone know of a place that sells the special drains necessary for a shower floor area that will be screeded and tiled. There is no way that access can be gained hence the unique drain.

I do know that Plumb Centre sell them (Marley / Altec) but they cost in the region of £130 (quite steep) they are also metal and look like they are more suited to a commercial installation due to their size. Is there a 'domestic' equivalent?

Various websites describe and show the method of installing and building these wetrooms and the drain is a fraction of the size but the big proplem is these are all USA websites ...need a UK equivalent

Any info appreciated

2. Jamie

Jamie New Member

Mcalpine do a decent range of these things, for tiled floors, or surface fitted, etc etc.

no hints as to where you can buy Mcalpine ;)

3. Sparkyman

Sparkyman New Member

Cheers for that!

4. magicscrew

magicscrew New Member

I didn't know about these special drains. I'm about to install a showertray but will have to burry the drain into the concrete floor.
    I would cut a channel, lay the pipe- suitably glued- and then sink in the drain. Fix the tray to the floor with cement - if using a stone one something else if I might use a resin job- and hope it all sorks.

I just wonder should I use these special drains instead or raise the tray above the ground to allow a "floating" drain instead?
    I guess it might also be better to lay the drain pipe inside a larger plastic pipe so I could pull it out if needed?

5. bushe

bushe New Member

Hello,

you can try these 2 options -

www.wedi.co.uk and look for the Fundo showe drain. I have used this product and it is very good. Also look at -

www.alumasc-exteriors.co.uk and search for the Harmer shower drain.

Elton