Wet room softening grout problem

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Mobwort, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Mobwort

Mobwort New Member

Hi folks can anyone help me with this one. We have a wet room with underfloor heating (not much good really). After a few months some patchs of the grouting on the floor (only) have disintegrated a little and the grouting under those areas has softened. Water is thus leaking into the attached stud wall. Any ideas? I can't understand how grout would go soft although I am a compete novice at grouting etc. is there any particular grout or solution I should be using for a wet room floor? Is that even the problem? Any help appreciated, especially if you have come across softening grout before! Tnx.

2. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

Was it a cement based grout ?

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Could it be a cleaner you are using on it?

4. Mobwort

Mobwort New Member

Hi folks thank you for your replies. I am using Mapei anti mould flexible grout. It seems to say on the bag that it is ok for wet room floors with underfloor heating.

About nine months ago I did spray a kind of waterproofer on the floor and I had the same problem a couple of months later (ie softened grout - but only in a few places). I regrouted those bits, although I am not so sure the problem was caused by the waterproofing spray. Anyway I haven't used that since, and I now have the same problem.
    Interestingly the grout I am digging up is softer underneath than in too generally though I guess that could be because water go downwards?
    Couple of pics attached which show the areas where I have dug out the softened stuff. I am now waiting for the areas to dry completely. Once they are dry is it just a case putting new fm grout in, or is there other preparatory stuff I should be using too. Any advice really appreciated, tnx

5. Mobwort

Mobwort New Member

Can't upload the pics at the mo. Also should have said - we don't use any cleaner at all on the floor as it it usually clean anyway :)

6. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

Could it maybe , be something to do with the underfloor heating ?

7. Mobwort

Mobwort New Member

Really appreciated your responses folks. I am using a Mapei grout that appears to be the correct stuff and it says it's suitable for underfloor heating. I have just dug up the sift bits and relaid routed so I will see what happens. Perhaps I didn't mix the grout powder properly last time. In case of problems can anyone recommend a different tried and trusted grey grout that is completely watertight and can cope with underfloor heating?

8. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

Ghost's the man to ask.