Wet room zones

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by peter palmer, Apr 15, 2015.

1. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I have looked at the regs regarding zones in a wet room and understand them regarding the measurements etc. Zone 2 something like 1.2M in an arc from the fixed shower head, but most wet rooms that I have seen lately have a hand held secondary shower head as well, the one I saw today stretched 1.5M away from the wall and you could put it in the sink. They want a cabinet over the sink but it falls just on the border of zone 2 from the fixed head but the secondary head can literally touch it.

The woman was practically distraught that her new bluetooth mirror couldn't go there but it was lost on her that she would be even more distraught if one of her kids got killed. I take it I am right, it was a bit too close to comfort from the fixed head anyway.

It would make sense to me that it could be fed from an isolating source in the loft that is current limiting like a shaver socket everything would be safe but even a SELV source has to be 25V max.

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  2. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

When I clean my mothers wet room I spray the shower onto all the walls except within a foot of the door that is the whole idea of the wet room. The one cupboard under the sink was specially designed so it could get wet. All switches are outside and I would not even consider fitting a shaver socket or heated mirror.

My daughters wet room has just a pair of taps. There is no shower head it is in Turkey and built as normal in Turkey with a stool to sit on and bowels to put the water where you want it. As a result under our BS7671 regulations it would not be regarded as a location containing a bath or shower as it don't. However even in Turkey there are no sockets in this room.

To me the only power in a wet room is direct to an essential appliance with no sockets or switches in the room. Power to shower and underfloor heating lights and fan is in line so not actually in the room. Even SELV in a bathroom limited to 12vac 30vdc.

In a standard bathroom yes heated mirrors and shaver sockets are OK. In a wet room common sense never mind regulations says no way. Be it Turkey where a little bit of hose pipe is used to wash down the room or UK where we use the shower rose the point is whole point of a wet room is we wash down the walls when cleaning so can't have anything on those walls which should not get wet.

Welshdragon1 and FatHands like this.
  3. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Zone measuring starts at the vertical central axis of the fixed end of a flexible shower tube in a wetroom.

ie the fixed end not the shower head.

FatHands likes this.